Articles about addiction worth reading

Just read this article and thought it might be interesting for some of you too. Feel free to ad your own. I might ad some more too.

16 Likes

Her experiences deeply resonate with me. Thanks so much for sharIng. :white_heart:

4 Likes
11 Likes

An opinion piece…has helpful resources and information…

Women, Do We Need an Intervention? https://nyti.ms/37aetFQ

2 Likes

I read this as well. I’m so glad we are starting to see more articles like this. People and women need a wake up call.

2 Likes

“The old adage that people who don’t drink are incapable of fun has been proven false, at least in my experience. All it took was practice.”

5 Likes

We get some laughing gas addicts in the detox where I work. Invariably young folks with serious nerve and/or heart damage. And they have no idea.

3 Likes

I can believe it. We had a long spell of using crackers and cartridges. Bought them by the case. You can practically feel your brain cells dying as well.

We used to get nitrous at the dentist when I was a little kid. I loved going.

2 Likes

Thanks for posting this. The Guardian is a publication I have a lot of respect for. I’m so glad the word keeps getting pushed out. The industry is being exposed, and their is a shift towards living sober in the younger generations.

3 Likes

Damned tough stuff to read. Fuck Fentanyl. It keeps getting worse. :cry:

1 Like

I read this today as well. Insanity. And so incredibly sad.

Just a short one. I’m not that big a fan of the whole celebrities in recovery genre but sometimes celebrities are nice and interesting people too. Like Paul Merson.

Old post. But I wanted to say loved this read :heart:

An interesting opinion piece on treatment in the US.

4 Likes

Lots of sides to it. One that only gets a side mention in the article is that the war on drugs caused much of this crisis. And ending it would help greatly. In more ways than I can mention.

I do believe that intrinsic motivation is key in successful treatment but the writer is right that many people getting treated already are coerced in one way or another. I see that here in my job too, people threatened to lose their housing if they don’t accept treatment is a very common one for example.

Much more to say but let me breath a bit first. Otherwise I might go on a rant against the the way the USA treats its vulnerable citizens but that’d be political I guess so I’ll keep my mouth shut.

5 Likes

It is such a different way than what I have seen in other countries. So arbitrary and punitive and blame filled. And the ‘war on drugs…’. I will stop there as well.

4 Likes

Another world unto themselves.

1 Like

This was an interesting read. Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Sad on so many levels. Still an interesting read. Thanks.

1 Like

This story is getting too common across the US. Fentanyl is in everything. It disgusts me. It’s one thing if people knowingly take it but it’s a whole other level when they have no idea. For those without addiction issues, days of going out and partying for a weekend are long gone.

3 Likes