Awful start

Not sure if I selected the right category, but here I go.
I figured New Years is a good time to stop smoking. Unfortunately, I had an -awful- night and honestly just want to chain smoke. I don’t want to go into details because this is my first ever post, but if I can get some sympathy and maybe advice on how to not just say “screw it” to the whole quitting endeavor?

2 Likes

Keep to it. You’ll be so glad. Lift weights ir something instead of lifting a death stick to your lips. Getting a handle on something is the best feeling ever. Don’t u want to know what that feeling is like?

1 Like

Truth is, shit happens, you just deal. I quit smoking (nicotine) over 3 months ago and there are days I just want to throw in the towel and smoke (like today), but I don’t, because my will to quit is greater than my desire to smoke.

I am assuming you mean nicotine, so in stressful situations, try meditating for 5 minutes instead of lighting up, it will help ‘reset’ your state of mind.

Other than that, drink water, get rest, be prepared for up to 3 or 4 weeks of being an uncomfortable, irritable mess. Give it 4 weeks, you’ll feel better and you will wonder why you didn’t quit sooner.

Good luck.

3 Likes

Hi @KieWyntir quitting is quitting…so when I quit alcohol I would have urges…you know when they happen because you say fuck it, but you must try instead anything to distract yourself… come on this app…play a computer game, make a coffee/tea…go for a walk… stick with it…and good luck :grin:

There is a quitting of cigarette thread that might be of interest to you, take a look

2 Likes

For whoever is reading this and doesn’t feel like searching:

2 Likes

Thanks hun :+1:

Happy new year, I’m sorry hear it got off to a bumpy start. Quitting smoking is tough and the little voice in your head will find all sorts of reasons to put things in the way of you quitting. The Alan Carr book on smoking helped me get over it. I also found that if I deconstructed my feelings at the point of craving the stress that I had over having a crap day wouldn’t really be quelled by a smoke. In fact that knowing I wanted to quit but not just added another slice of stress to the stress blanket I was carrying around. I’m rooting for you dude!

Welcome! Quitting smoking is hard! I worked with a smoking cessation counselor through my University and quit during a very stresseful time. We had planned my quit date far in advance, and right before that quit date some major, sudden life changes happened. I was a mess, but didn’t want to push back my date.

My smoking cessation counselor said it was up to me, and I decided to stick to my date. I figured if I could quit during all of that, maintaining on good days would be way easier in comparison. I didn’t want to set the expectation that bad days make smoking ok. There is lots of good advice in the cessation thread that I won’t repeat, and lots of people with more recent quits than me. Good luck, let us know how it goes?

3 Likes

I thought the same, new years fresh start clean off alcahol but I’m craving the effects of it like crazy! But I’m trying to remind myself of all the negative consequences rather than romantacising the “positive” ones, try that :blush:

I had the same thought when it came to drinking, so drank today… my last day… and now, I am clean again. Don´t be stressed by societal expectations, you stop when you damn well can and you know you are doing the best you can. Relax, take it easy, stay off the cigarettes if you can… if you can´t - so be it, come back tomorrow and no-one will judge. We know you can do this… you are strong enough!

1 Like

… always, when making a decision about today - just think “how will I feel about this tomorrow”… you´ve done so well to get to where you are… stay strong, and believe you can do this!

1 Like

I have a vape too, only 3mg of nicotine though, the smallest amount without going down to 0% lol. But, it helps me so much! I’ve tried higher doses but it would give me such a head rest, so I settled for 3mg lol