B12 Vitamin

This is the case. Also the vitamin B12 you can use sublingual is a better variant then the ones you swallow. That’s why you pay more for them. If you want to do it 100% correct you have to buy one with also folic acid (folate) in it. Your body uses it to get the vitamin B12 into your system. If you don’t add that and take a high dosed B12 you can get a short of folic acid in your system. That you do not want too :wink:

1 Like

That’s really helpful! Thanks so much, I don’t eat animal products either and was wondering about my energy (lack of).

2 Likes

Good to know about the folate. If it’s something that needs to be with the b12, it should be in it right? I’ll have to check my bottle later.

1 Like

It doesn’t necessarily need to be with your b12. Ive seen many peoples b12 levels rise adequately on lab work without taking additional folate/folic acid (and also in tablet form). Your multivitamin will have folic acid most likely. It’s a common misconception that you always just pee out extra vitamins. More is not always better (as with vitamin C supplements & history of kidney stones). You can get too much folic acid, and that can actually hide signs of a b12 deficiency. So those who take a B complex vitamin should be watchful of the combine amounts in other vitamins (if I take my B complex, I skip my multi for that day). B vitamins common lacking with alcoholics (particularly b1, b6, folate) however it’s not always the case. Best advice is to chat to your healthcare provider about your personal needs. The longer we abstain, in combination with healthy eating, balanced, nutrient-dense whole foods, the more our bodies start to heal/absorb nutrients

1 Like

Thanks. I need to make an appointment soon with my primary. The last time I went I had cut down on my drinking significantly but was still trying to figure out how to moderate. But I’m almost 90 days clean now.
I was super exhausted at first when I stopped drinking and I do feel better than I did in the beginning but damn I’m so exhausted still. I am also finding that I’m far more scatterbrained and forgetful than I was before. I was hoping some vitamins might help me feel like a semi normal person while my body is sorting everything out and getting to where it should be.

1 Like

What are these things you speak of? Bahahaha.

Good to know. I do also take a multi-vitamin with folic acid…but not every day. I’ll make sure to do that.

Hey Mal…
I also feel more forgetful/scatterbrained in sobriety.
But I chalk that up to the fact that I’m actually using my brain a lot more, more multitasking again, and also not making so many lists like breadcrumbs for my drunk brain to remember what I was doing or supposed to be doing.

1 Like

Cheryl, whether this is true or not I still like it! Lol! That’s what I’m going with too. Trying to work out all my thoughts at full capacity just means I have more room up in there for more thoughts so they probably get a little mixed up. I hope they sort out soon though :grimacing::grimacing:

1 Like

I’ve been keeping up with the B12 for a little over a week now. Haven’t noticed much of a difference yet regarding my energy level but I have noticed that I feel starving hungry a lot!

Anyone notice a difference in their appetite?

1 Like

B12 is a water soluble as opposed to fat soluble. This means any excess is excreted in your urine. Just take the recommended dosage on the bottle, and you’ll be fine.

1 Like

I take a b complex at the start of my day and magnesium before bed. I’ll stop vitamins, when I feel like a certain health need has been met. Not sure if that’s the right think to do. Make sure to drink plenty of water.

1 Like