Back Again... Day 1

Hi Everyone!

Im back again, back to day one. I tried to stop drinking multiple times in the past and maybe made a month tops. Then i gave up trying for a year or two and now I can see my drinking is getting out of control again. I probably only drink 1 or 2 times a week, max of 3, but recently everytime either I pass out, have massive memory black outs or do something behavior wise that would be completely out of character sober - normally a combination of all 3. I really want to stop but its so hard, particularly as im in my late twenties and most things social i do involves drinking in someway. Thats what pulls me back in, i get bored, love partying and just go back to it stipudly thinking its not that bad of a problem. Gotta be stronger. I need this chaos out my life! Any tips welcomed!

1 Like

I’m 26 and get the struggle BUT you gotta learn to be okay with being bored.

I think that’s my best tip. Learning to be okay with your own company and realising your worth and “fun-ness” isn’t tied up with bars, parties and booze.

I found new hobbies - yoga, meditation and blogging. They keep me occupied and give me purpose. Perhaps find a sport or interest that you can turn to instead of booze? Something that gets you out the house and meeting like-minded individuals?

I read sober memoirs a lot. I don’t go to meetings, so I connect with people’s stories through books and here online.

More and more young people are getting sober. I feel like there’s a big shift… You have to want it though. It seems like you’re in two minds?

It’s fun and games now but it just gets worse. X

4 Likes

@KatieDee thank you for being brave and committing again to the process. You’re right, social circle matters a ton. And as @Ashleigh mentioned, there’s a life outside of drinking and things. Are there friends or others who don’t really engage in that? Parties that have no alcohol?

Are you into reading or listening to audiobooks?

1 Like

Welcome back!

I totally get the boredom thing. When I was your age, it was either party or watch paint dry. Now which sounds more entertaining?

As I got older, I found that there are sooo many things to do that don’t involve drinking and bad choices.

If I want to know what its like to sky dive, I go book some time at the local iFly indoor skydiving.

If I wonder what barks made out of, I go for a walk in the forest and find out.

If I want to play in the snow, I go up to the mountains and make a snow angel.

If I’m feeling goofy, I’ll put on an obvious fake mustache and go grocery shopping and act normal.

I could go on and on.

The point is, you can do anything you want, because there are no expectations of you to do otherwise.

Go, be curious!

3 Likes

I agree that action is important, if you’re bored find something interesting to do. I think it was @LyLyC I saw saying you’re not bored, you’re boring…!

I also agree with @Ashleigh though, finding acceptance is important too. It’s ok to be bored sometimes. I have also found yoga and meditation an important part of the process.

The other thing is that I would genuinely prefer to be a bit bored than be a drunken mess. I don’t know what caused that shift… A combination of healthier living, getting up early and doing interesting things on weekend daytimes, meditation and reflection, lots of playing my tape to the end, reading This Naked Mind, being grateful for my sober experiences and checking in on here a lot.

2 Likes

So much yes. I’ve said on here before, boredom is a choice and a lame excuse. When I quit drinking only then was I able to participate in meaningful activities that are the opposite of boring. I go to movies with friends, go to the gym, hang out way more with my mom, work on my blog, go for coffee with friends… so many things. Going to the club and getting blackout is not exciting or meaningful. Find some friends that don’t party, seriously. Then, make a plan to get and stay sober.

2 Likes

Also, maybe you need a program? The support you will receive there is invaluable. Such a great way to meet awesome sober people as well!

1 Like

Get creative! Start using your mind and hands for something creative - write something, paint something, cook something, buy a camera, decorate the house - whatever it takes to keep you busy for the first period. Ive also said before but the two best things for me were cooking (helps that its my job!) and picking up guitar more than ever and writing music.

All the best :slight_smile:

3 Likes

try a meeting if you get bored wish you well

1 Like