Back at it..Need motivation

Welp. I relapsed and heavily. Ended a 7 year relationship because of my drinking amongst a few other things. Moved in with my brother and SO who also had a drinking problem, ended up getting into a huge fight with them while all drunk. Now staying with a friend who also likes to drink…But at this time I currently have no other option. Trying to save to move.

I started talking to another guy that I have had interest in for almost 10 years and ruined that connection now too because of my drinking. He called me out in a way Ive never experienced and something just clicked. I need help. Ive turned into someone I dont recognize. He told me he lost respect for me and it just broke me inside.

So any advice or motivation would be extremely helpful. Im very depressed right now and in a dark place mentally. Today is Day one.

9 Likes

I’m sorry to hear about the destruction drinking has caused in your relationships. I can relate a lot to your story.

My best two pieces of advice that have helped keep me sober are:

1. Take it one day at a time
  2. Never forget the way you feel now

Don’t focus or worry about staying sober for the next week or next month, just focus on today. Then tomorrow, keep focusing on just today. Eventually sober will become your new normal.

When sober becomes your new normal, it’s important to remember how you feel now because it’s easy to forget and think that you can go back to drinking. Remember the destruction alcohol has caused and all the things you have lost because of drinking.

I hope this helps :slightly_smiling_face:

8 Likes

My advice: choose your rock-bottom.

We can decide whether we’ve fallen far enough, or hit and hurt hard enough, that we can embrace “forever”, and vow “never again”. Or, we can decide to keep on sacrificing our relationships, our health, and our sanity on the alter of our addictions, and see just how much further we can fall, before we hit rock-bottom.

It’s a time in your life for choosing. Choose well.

7 Likes

I would agree with @Yoda-Stevie and like to add that if you keep digging to find your rock bottom it ends with your grave… this is not a scare tactic, it is our reality. If you quit digging the only way to go is up.

Adding on and agreeing with @Nordique. Some relationships can be repaired in time with recovery, some cannot. One thing is certain though, you will not have any healthy relationships in active addiction.

Just stay sober for today. Best wishes.

5 Likes

I recently relapsed as well. Ive been going to AA meetings 3-4 times a week and just recently stopped going as frequently. That’s when I slipped.

Try going to a meeting. The hardest part of AA for me was walking in and having an open mind about it. If you don’t like the group, give a different one a try. I found what I call my home group, but still go to meetings in different areas just to see what they’re like. I always take something positive out of every meeting no matter where it is. Nobody understands an alcoholic in recovery like a recovering alcoholic.

7 Likes

Thank you so much, it does help. :heart:

1 Like

I love this and never thought of it this way. Thank you.

1 Like

5 Likes

Sorry to hear about your situation. If it is any comfort, know that you may have to fight a battle more than once to win it.

I’ve relapsed several times myself, the last one being in August, but taking things one day at a time definitely helps.

Don’t let the relapse define you, but your determination to stay sober, only for today. 11:59pm is always a victorious moment for anyone fighting to stay sober. Wish you the best!

5 Likes

This sounds like one of those moments that’s the worst ever, that gutted you, that left you feeling desperate and hopeless. But you could make it the moment that is the beginning of the best decision ever, the one that fills you, that leaves you feeling determined and hopeful. It takes a lot of work to flip it, daily work, but it’s you sound ready to do it.

2 Likes