Back on the wagon after news of death

This morning i logged into Facebook and the first post I saw was a picture of my aunt with a link to her obituary. After speaking with her sister I found out that she had relapsed from all the stresses of living in these times and had started having stomach pain. She was in the ICU for a week before she died from liver failure and sepsis.
I have tried many times in the past to quit drinking and have been warned by family members who do not drink that my great grandmother died from alchohol but indomt know why I haven’t found that as an issue. But now after losing my aunt who was truly such a kind and amazing woman I am devistated and also terrified for my own health. I just restarted my sober clock and really need to keep with it this time. It is going to be incredibly difficult for me since our cul de sac “covid bubble” all drink and my husband is an alcoholic also and we tend to drink more during the colder festive months after the children are in bed. But I do not ever want my friends to wake up to a post with my photo and a link to my obituary, and for it to be because I couldnt stay away from alchohol. Any words of encouragement are greatly appreciated

13 Likes

Welcome back! One day at a time is how i just celebrated a year of sobriety. It was a little more than that… recovery books, recovery podcasts, this group, exercise. I worked recovery everyday, made it the primary focus for myself. My words of encouragement are these… if my sorry ass can stay sober you certainly can too. You deserve sobriety. Fight like you’re fighting for your life because you are. We’re here for you.

6 Likes

@Desire88 I’m so sorry to hear about your Aunt. Clearly you are deeply shaken. Virtual hug((()))
This must be a hard time for you. As far as the COVID bubble, it you figure out a good way to get through that let me know. I’m doing AA meetings on Friday and Saturday since my neighbors like to drink too and all my circles will be asking. but also I’m divorced so that won’t help your marital part. You can message me if the bubble puts pressure on you. I’ll encourage you or just talk about random things.

3 Likes

I appreciate that, thank you very much

1 Like

Thank you very much. And congratulations on your year of sobriety!

1 Like

I’m so sorry for your loss. My prayers to you and your family :heart: I’m so glad you made the right decision. Make a plan and stick to it. Ask for help when you need it and have others keep you accountable. I believe in you!

Sorry for your loss ,have lost my three brothers in the last 3 years my identical twin passed away in july .miss him we were very close, my mum used to have to put a differnt colour bib on so she didnt feed one of us twice lol ,like two peas in a pod . i know in this climate its hard but desire and effort im sure you will get back on the sober road wish you well

I’m so sorry to hear of the loss of your aunt! :heart: I lost my dad and my aunt to alcoholism too, yet I still ended up an alcoholic. My 18 year old son and I talked the other night about how none of us start drinking thinking we’ll end up there, but I sure did. I was SO against me ever getting to that level but it’s a progressive thing and it snuck up on me when I was too busy being drunk to notice. My effed up brain didn’t realize what was going on. But, I was heading exactly where they were. And I didn’t want my son to have to go through what I did so I quit drinking, started unpacking my “stuff” and changed my entire life.

It’s not easy but man, life sure does reward you if you do the work to discover a new way to live. Just one day at a time worked for me. Today, I will do whatever it takes to end my day sober, just like I have for 962 days now.

I’m glad you’re back! :two_hearts:

1 Like

We are here for you!
sending you all my love and support in this time of sadness and fear.
This will be the best decsicion you can make out of love for her, your family and ultimately yourself!