Back trying again but feeling lonely. Anyone else from northern Ireland? Happy Sunday all x

Hi all I have been on here before while doing sober October. That went great until it crashed and burned with a break up at the end of the month. Got back I to that relationship got back drinking and relationship was up and down through next few months. Christmas etc. My partner let me down again new year’s Day and I broke it off again. It’s been painful and I can’t put my hand up and say I’ll never go back there . he finally collected his bits and pieces he had left here last Monday and we said a kind loving and emotional goodbye . I drank that night but haven’t drank since. I feel physically much stronger but my heart still hurts and it’s hard to fight the loneliness but I need to keep going. Just wondered if anyone else on here from northern Ireland ? Lots of people in USA I see and that’s great I love that it’s world wide . But because of the time difference sometimes when I’m on here and would really like to know others are feeling like me at that time . (Example weekend nights) its quieter on here.

I’ll stop rambling. Really hoping I can go the distance this time with willpower and support on here. Have a lovely Sunday all xx

3 Likes

Hey there and welcome back :hugs:
Some ppl are from the UK and Germany (me me hehe) here so yeah it get’s quiet but there is always anyone around to talk to.
Ramble as much as you need, it’s okay.
When feelings start to overwhelm come here and talk to us, it’s 100% better than drinking.
Sending hugs your way, it will get better :kissing_heart::hugs:

1 Like

Thank you it’s the evenings that are the hardest. I’m reading loads though to put the time in ! Happy sober Sunday to you in Germany :blush: x

1 Like

I’m in the USA, but my job has me working Greenwich Mean Time, so basically my life evolves around U.K. time, more than my current time.

Break-ups are tough, but it very well could be a blessing in disguise. You have the opportunity to be selfish, and put yourself 1st. Focus on making a better version of yourself!

My fav quote

3 Likes

Hey lady, I’m so glad to see you back!!! I’m sorry to hear that you’ve been on an emotional rollercoaster. Wanted to chime in to say that my last relationship was all kinds of tangled up in addiction and fourteen years of friendship and a whole lot of emotional love. When it ended, I was quite certain my life was over. I’m roughly 400 days into sobriety and I can say…again quite certainly…that that relationship ending was the beginning of a COMPLETELY new sober life. I cannot thank the universe (or my ex in all honesty) enough for ending that relationship. It has saved my life and brought me back to who I am. I am also in the USA, but I’ve definitely heard Ireland tossed around on here a few times.
Again, so glad to see you back! Looking forward to more​:heart::heart::heart:

1 Like

Thank you very much guys. Off to get fee groceries for Sunday dinner then chill time with my daughter when she finishes her studies. I’m taking one day at a time I don’t want to swear I’ll never be in that relationship again. I hope I’m strong enough not to but I still love him. One day at a time is all I can do. Love the support on here xx

https://www.alcoholicsanonymous.ie/

I did give it a go in October but I’m not sure it’s for me. The group in my town is very outdated and I don’t drive. I’m relying on books this site and willpower at the minute

How’s that working out for ya?

https://smartrecovery.ie/

I’m only 6 days into this sober journey so I’ll give it time. I know you’re s big advocate of AA and I know it works for many many people and in USA I imaging the groups are much more forward thinking and up to date. Unfortunately in Ireland the AA class is a bit like living in the dark ages. If I could travel to one elsewhere I might try it. For now I will see how it goes

Thank you I will definitely look at this later. Off grocery shopping now :blush:

Does it really matter what the meetings are like if people are getting sober? Your own bias is what is holding you back. Not the meetings.

Intherooms.com

Now you’re judging me. It’s not a bias it just doesn’t work for me I don’t feel comfortable there. Each to there own but thanks for your opinion.

2 Likes

I promise you he is not judging you. He just doesn’t sugar coat. To use the cliche, I think what he’s trying to say is “nothing changes if nothing changes”. If you want to stop drinking you need to do something you’ve never tried before.

1 Like

I went to a lot of meetings until I found a couple that I was comfortable in. Luckily, here, there is atleast 1 meeting every hour from 7am to 7pm. Group dynamics matter.

I provided you with links to many other resources as well.

I think @Yoda-Stevie tells us that change and growth always occur outside of our comfort zone.

1 Like

I understand that I’m only 6 days in and trying to feel my way I’m proud of every one of those days and I’ll take any advice given. It doesn’t mean that every way works for everyone that’s all I am saying. You don’t know my town and without experiencing my particular group I feel it’s unfair to say I’m bias. I said if I could I would go elsewhere but it’s not possible. Fejt hurt by the bias comment. Not looking things sugar coated but I’m sure I’m not the first to say AA wasn’t for them. Thanks anyway