Bad day - what do you do?

I’m having a particularly bad day. Anxiety with a relationship that’s not farting rainbows and a job that’s overwhelming and high stress. What do you do when you have these days?

I’m trying to not fantasize about drinking, I’m listening to Annie grace podcast. I reached out to my sponsor, can’t make a meeting until tomorrow. Would love to here what your strategies are when faced with multiple triggers and wanting to escape?

4 Likes

I interrupt my perceive threat response. I do it multiple times a day sometime by minutes.

Running, meditate, ASMR video’s on YouTube, cleaning the house with some good music on ,Netflix, going to a Spa, reading.

One day at the time,this too shall pass…:blossom::muscle:

4 Likes

I’m sure this isn’t a surprise but I put my ass in a bag and go to a meeting

3 Likes

Just ate my kids fruit snacks… LOL. Running is my next step. Fuck just writing that out and asking for help helped. It really is simple but not easy. Say a prayer, reach out to other alcoholics, go to meetings regularly. Thanks guys.

6 Likes

I go work out my body (bicycling, fitness class, walking or weights). Or I may do some yin yoga to soften my body and mind (easy and available for free on YouTube). Breathing techniques are also helpful to reduce the cortisol. Gardening …heavy duty pruning and trimming is also meditative and good for you physically.

If you are at work, can you take a 10\15 minute break and take a walk, focus on breathing…I am breathing in for 4 counts, I am breathing out for 4 counts.

Yelling is also great stress release. Warm Epsom salt bath with a book. Calling a friend to vent. Journaling.
Making comfort food or baking.

Find what soothes you…do that. :heart:

4 Likes

Sit outside in the warm sun and write a 25 list of things you are grateful for.:blush:

4 Likes

:pray:t4::pray:t4::pray:t4: thank you all. I’m a grateful alcoholic who went trail running, talked to my sponsor, snuggled with my son before bed and I’m going to sleep sober. :heart:

14 Likes

Pray to your higher power!!. Font allow yourself to upsess about your DOC.

3 Likes

At that kind of days I watch Netflix and eat a lot of crap. I ate half a pie the last shitty day :hugs:
And I go to bad early.

3 Likes

Head under the covers and brace for it
When I can’t I ride the wave.
Emotional flashbacks are the worse - CPTSD along with addiction urges.
The sun will shine again.

Try to embrace the pain. You will feel powerful.

1 Like

Do something physical. Walk the dog, go to the gym something like that. Find it helps disrupt my negative mindset even if just for a little while

1 Like

Walk/run and then I go for a nap and snuggle up with the cat. And defo eat cake! Lol x :+1::pray:t2::two_hearts:

2 Likes

Cake can’t go wrong!

1 Like

I read this forum while listening to records. It gets easier - seriously.

“Put your ass in a bag”?? What is this saying that I have never heard?

1 Like

The old timers love it lol

Getting out of the house does wonders
Currently at the mall and not shopping. Regulating myself. Tea & hashbrowns coming up for me at Tim’s :slight_smile:

i reach out to people and ask what show they find binge-worthy – eat delish treats and watch one of them. go for a long run. take a hot yoga class (nothing better than sweating out that bad juju). see if someone wants to take a dog walk with me or go for dinner. stuff like that :grinning: x