Bartender life

I’m a bartender and I am tempted to have a beer after almost every shift and I usually do. All the bartenders do for the most part. Occasionally I will turn it down, but most of the time I can’t help myself because it’s right there, it’s free or discounted, and all of my co-workers are having one after just working a long shift. And we all know what that one turns into. I hate the way I feel the next morning and I tell myself all day that I don’t want to do it again. I feel shame and regret, but then I somehow forget all that and the cycle repeats. I’m trying to find a way to stop myself in those moments and hoping this app and this forum helps. Any other advice though would be greatly appreciated.

3 Likes

I also bartend and what I find helpful is making it known that I am not drinking. I will bring a water bottle and fill it with lemon water every shift which helps. I feel like honesty and communication is key and if you just make it known that you aren’t drinking you’ll be happily surprised by how much support you’ll get back. Don’t get me wrong there will be people giving you a hard time. Perhaps try giving yourself a little something to look forward to after work during the first week enticing you to leave after your shift.

2 Likes

My only advise might not be an easy option would be to look for another job. I wouldn’t advise anyone with a problem to work at a bar x

1 Like

Your initial post is exactly what I’m going through. That after work drink is almost part of the shift. I don’t have the magic answer but I just made it through three shifts of just leaving right away. I’m hoping to use exercise in the morning as something to look forward to, as I know I won’t do if I have that drink after work. You’re not alone in this battle. Thanks for the post, it actually helps me.

1 Like

Do bartenders get drunk after work usually? I didn’t know this.

Oh my god servers to a lot,drugs and drink are a big part of the culture.
It’s stressful,high paced,often painful,and you have to do it joking and smiling and reading every new customer,every new table just right and since in America we usually only get payed 3 bucks an hour we have to get the most of a tip from you because that’s how we even get payed at all.
And I F’ing love it!

Ha ha,my fashion friends get excited by sales at DSW or whatever, I just got these babies from shoes for crews and OMG the make such a difference,and are kick ass.

1 Like

Great job on leaving straight away and thank you for the advice. I was thinking about switching my workouts from afternoon to morning for other reasons, but that makes a lot of sense. I will definitely try that.

That’s a good idea with the water or other beverage to drink at that time. The embarrassment factor comes into play when I think about telling other people. I know it shouldn’t, but I am pretty self conscious about telling others when I have a problem/need help.

Hope it helps! And the whole “I have a problem/need help” doesn’t even need to be expressed or a factor just make it about being healthier for youself and wanting to change things up in your life.

1 Like

Instead of reaching for a drink grab your phone and go to this app. Read some posts or write something of your own. It may remind you that you really don’t want that drink today. Disrupt that routine/habit of the after shift drink.