Beating anxiety

Nearly two days sober and my anxiety level is rising. Today is the day I would always over indulge. Just trying to take deep breaths, and let it pass. What does every one else do to beat anxiety?

3 Likes

Hi,
Have you ever done any meditation? There are a lot of ways to meditate. You can listen to one of hundreds of podcasts that exist - Meditation Oasis is a great one. You can join a meditation group. There are apps like “Calm” and “Breathe” that you can download. Good luck.

4 Likes

Stretch helps me ,so does lifting weights , sitting in the sun , and being around nature . Wish I could be around nature more lol .

4 Likes

Omg calming my anxiety in the beginning was so difficult. I tried lots of things.
Playing games on my phone
meditation (only a few minutes at a time or it stressed me out)
Reading. mostly about quiting alcohol (this naked mind was good)
Walking
Spending time in nature
AA podcast
Sobriety podcast
Writing down what I thought was making me anxious.
Came here and read a lot
Hope some of this helps. Anxiety in the beginning of my sober journey was rough but it is so much better now.

4 Likes

Boredom is what triggers it for me. I have found a game that I love playing on my phone and that seemed to help. I meditate but I usually wait until bedtime hoping it will help me sleep better.

3 Likes

There are tons of us here that suffer from anxiety. Most AA members I know seem to suffer from it to varying degrees.

Breathing excercises can help as can getting outside. You are certainly not alone on this issue.

4 Likes

I had to keep telling myself that it’ll pass. And it did. Going to be nice to not wake up with a hangover.

1 Like

CBD had really helped me. CBD not THC part of the plant that does not get you high

1 Like

I actually thought about CBD but I have no idea which brands are best.

Listening to music helps me a lot, playing guitar does too. I sometimes listen to binaural beats. Taking a walk. Going outside, just be in nature. Sometimes my anxiety is so high. Then I try to do something relaxing at my place. When I do get the courage to drive my car and actually go somewhere, a different environment can be helpful.

1 Like

I don’t think you ever beat anxiety, the key is to accept anxiety and be comfortable with it. When you stop pushing against it, those nasty feelings that come with it get less and less!

4 Likes

This is me rn :joy: to a T

Yes!! I love this! Brene brown me all day

1 Like

That shit is solid advice. Solid!

Don’t call her “Bernie”. I really love that woman. She is amazing.

? Huh not sure what you interpreted. I love her too, obviously.

Sorry. It was a joke. In one of her Netflix shows she referred to herself as “Bernie”. It was funny. Sorry for the confusion.

I would just make sure it’s high CBD 400 mgs +. If you can just get the straight isolate powder that is ideal it helped me immediately but a lot of people find relief from the tinctures

1 Like

I am here if you need a friend.
I do various of different things. Just in a heightened state so typing is bit difficult.

1 Like

My daughter is using an app called Headspace. I’ve heard good things about the Calm app. I breathe deeply, try to get to a calm dark physical place where external stimulus is gone and just let my brain “dump” for a bit. I use an App called Abide (it’s Bible based so not for everyone) to help me fall asleep. They basically have bedtime stories you can listen to. Works wonders for me. I pray. I read. I list off things I can see, hear, touch and smell that are in my immediate area to ground me and not let the anxiety take control. I take walks. I clean. When all else fails I take a xanax. But I know not everyone has that option. I’ve heard good things about CBD. But definitely do your research before trying and buying. It’s highly unregulated.

1 Like