Been Down This Road

Well I’m ready to make a fresh attempt at cutting alcohol out of my life. The impact of my admiration of good scotch and beer isn’t always transparent because I still have a successful career and home life, but I always feel fatigued and lack the enthusiasm to do any of the things that I used to love. Booze simply doesnt have a place in my busy life, and it certainly takes away from the quality of my time away from work. I will not have a drink after work tonight, and although I know I will fight anxiety and cravings… I will stay motivated by looking forward to more bright eyed days and getting back the energy and drive to do the things I love.

5 Likes

I’m new n on my first day of quitting drinking to. Not exactly sure how this site works but I’m here to talk to if u need help this evening.

HI Gen! Heading into work now. I manage a restaurant so I am serving booze all day long… it’s after work that I get my cravings. I often get home late and spend too much time ‘winding down’ instead of sleeping, even if I have to wwork in the morning. Tired of being tired. No drink tonight. How’s your day statting off?

Welcome @DRenish. You seem to have a clear view going into this. Stick with what you say and start to change your life for the better. Lots of opinions and the ideas here,hope they will help you.

1 Like

Hi @Gen,glad to hear you’re looking to make a change as well. Check things out, lots of info on here.

1 Like

Thanks NF I appreciate your encouragement!

2 Likes

Craving really bad my bf is drinking in the other room n I’m trying to keep myself busy. It’s really hard right now.

Go for a walk! Get coffee. Window shop at the mall. Excercise until you are tired enough to sleep all night. Go to a meeting

2 Likes

I ate a big dinner n surfed around on this app n getting ready to lay down for bed, feel a lot better now. Ur also a big help as I really don’t have a good sober person to talk to.

1 Like

There are lots of us here for you. It’s hard at first to quiet that voice but you did good tonight

2 Likes

Well… here I am in the scenario where I usually indulge in a couple of drinks. I have just returned home from working a long day, and I am still wound up from my busy evening. I have few loose ends to wrap up at the computer and sipping a beer while doing so is tempting. I am definitely craving a drink, but have no intentions of giving in. Could do it if I wanted to, I didn’t bring anything home. It is usually not during the first several days of cessation that I crack, because I am full of motivation to succeed in my new quitting endeavor. It is usually 4 or five days after quitting before I am met with the “why not” mentality that does me in. So… when that time comes, I will choose not. Time for 5 hours of sleep, and then back to work.

1 Like

I know that feeling of wanting to sip on just one, but I also know it will never be sipping or just one.Take it a day at a time. When you have that feeling,come on here,that will help to put it down.

You havnt any mental defence if you want a drink youl drink thats why is important to get a network of sober friends you can lift the phone to rather than lift a drink as Chad said maybe a meeting might help you ,

It’s been working so far! It defiantly helps to surround yourself by others to whom you share your commitment. After getting absolutely beaten down by a long busy weeknight shift, I had to seriously exercise my will to take a pass. It’s the split second during which I chose not to grab a drink that was the most challenging. Once my mind was set however, I was able to distract myself. Reminds me of the the cliché animated characters you would see depicted in cartoons with an angel and devil on each shoulder whispering into two ears, each battling for validation of two conflicting decisions. Doing okay as I close day two. I have the next two days off which is good… my strongest cravings occur after an exhausting workday. A new healthy replacement vice may help, haven’t put my gym membership to good use in quite some time. Hope everybody else is doing well. Good night!

2 Likes