Before He Goes To Prison

EDIT: Thank you everyone for your generous advice. I think I should have been clearer though.

We are looking for people, who know me through this app, to comment on their experiences with me here. Think of it like a yelp review. We’re trying to show the judge that I have been active in a sober community and that I have helped others in their sobriety. So, if you happen to feel like I have been of service to you or you have something that you would like to tell the Judge, about me, let’er rip.

You are the foundation of my program.
I am so grateful that I have been given the time to get to know many of you and, through your courage and wisdom, solidify my own ongoing sobriety.

Tuesday, Dec 17th, I will go before the judge and prosecutor and I will plead guilty to a felony DUI with a felony bodily injury enhancement.

Currently, the offer is 3 years in prison.

Before they sentence me, my attorney would like them to know how I’ve spent my time since the crash. We want them to see that I am not only concerned with my sobriety, but the sobriety of others. So my friends, I ask you:

If you had the chance to speak directly to the judge and prosecutors, what would you tell them about me?

I’m sorry that this is completely selfish and self seeking, but I just want them to know who they’re locking up. I don’t know why it matters to me, it just does.

I :heart: U

21 Likes

Only guessing that it should be as honest as you sound on here. Accepting responsibility for your actions ( I don’t know your story). How you think it has already begun a change in how you live and see life. You know yourself. Wish you well.

3 Likes

This is a complex task that actually requires simple answers. The judges time is short.

I would try to impress that the desire to change is very different to actually changing. That you have achieved real change in who you are through your actions so far, and work very hard to never let that change journey end of being a better person each day.

You will get much to think about in this topic so i will keep my input short and sweet.

You’re a truly amazing and tops bloke.
Wish you the very best dude.
:+1::heart:

6 Likes

The very fact that you’re here and asking is impressive and humbling to see what you’re made of MrCade. I would like him to know what you’re made of and that you do care about others and yourself; that you have done so much to right a wrong in as much as you could. You’ve helped so many here in the time I’ve been here and you will always stand out as a man of honor and grace.

4 Likes

@MrCade,

You have been such an amazing influence here on TS. You’ve guided so many of us towards better living and better decisions. Your mentality is so positive. I will be sad to lose you. I don’t know that drunk that caused that car crash.

I only know the super positive fellow that influenced all of us to choose better.

I don’t know if I could express in words how dear @MrCade has been to us. He will be sorely missed and we hope for his speedy return.

Thank you, @MrCade, for all that you’ve given us.

8 Likes

Its very hard to give you an advice without knowing all your history but I would try to reinforce to the judge the willingness to make the changes to improve your life and never do that again. I’d show him facts like meetings attendance, counselor visits, sponsor, anything that helps to show you are changing for better. Also, this might sound harsh, but taking full responsibility for your actions while under influence is a very good way to help sobriety in the future.

4 Likes

I think being honest about how you feel about the incident and admitting that you SHOULD face consequences would be the best thing you could do. I know you feel that way, it’s who you are. THEN present everything you have done for your recovery. You know you aren’t getting out of this, so stand tall and show your worth. That alone just might buy you a hell of an easier time.

As far as what I would say about you? Man, there is a lot I would say about you. The first thing being that I in no way think of you as a reckless person, either physically or emotionally. You are a very hands on teacher, you love to use positive reinforcement to SHOW others what has worked for you and what can work for them. That your compassion, honesty, and open mind make you someone I wouldn’t want to fight this fight without. That you have learned a lot at a faster rate than 99% of other people I’ve met here. That your commitment to your sobriety and recovery is a light in the dark for so many, including me.

There is so much more, but that’s the best I can do right now. Too tired for life.

Keep us updated. Much love to you, my brother. You would have my back if I needed it, and I’ll always have yours!

9 Likes

@MrCade Is an extremely strong and solid contributor on the Sober Talk app. He offers genuine advice, suggestions and experiences, to help people (like me) start and progress the long hard journey to sobriety. He has been very open in sharing his own story. I am so very grateful to him. Today is my day 52 Alcohol Free.

Thank you Cade.

8 Likes

3 years is where the current offer from the prosecutors sits. When last we checked, they indicated that it was the best deal they could possibly offer.

My understanding is that the judge can increase the sentence, if he feels like it and it is unlikely that he would reduce it from whatever the prosecutors ask.

1 Like

I know that you have reached out to people here man. That matters. This is one of the only places that our wreckage and bullshit can actually be a positive and help someone.
I’m not sure how much face to face time you’ve had with another alcoholic. But I’ll tell ya that there is nothing like working with another alcoholic. To see something you say resonate in their eyes. To see the lights come back on. It’s pretty amazing.
All because our bullshit. All because we are an alcoholic

4 Likes

I’m currently in phase 2 of an intensive outpatient program (which has been life changing btw)
I am also nearly complete on a 3 month “first time offender” program… which is normally court mandated, but I did on my own accord.

Right now, my best bet is to become a trustee, when I go to county jail and then apply to fire camp once I’m in state prison.

5 Likes

I am so sorry to hear this. I know your name, but not your story. I had no idea. Keep your head up. Stay strong, lessen your sentence with good behavior. You can do this. It takes a very humble person to ask what one would say to a judge. I pray that your lawyer and yourself can portray the real person you are. The person that you’ve longed to be and have achieved to become. Keep in touch.

3 Likes

Is this your first DUI?

1 Like

I got 3 years for DUI 5, felony #2 and was put on pre-approved furlough, AKA house arrest. I was able to keep my job and my program and some freedom. I served 10 days in and that was it. I’m hoping the same can happen for you.

And I hope your local corrections or H&I committee can bring meetings into where you are.

Gecmis olsun - may it pass quickly.

7 Likes

Work camp in Vermont credits you 2 days for every day served. It’s the only good time the system allows now.

2 Likes

No it isn’t.
I have 2 previous from 2005 & 2006

Sorry to be asking so many questions, you mentioned fire camp. Are you in California? Are they also using your prior convictions of DUI in your case?

Best thing I can advise seeing as I have done prison time is to make sure your percentage is lowest it can possibly be. Anything higher than 85 which is generally violent crimes does not allow for Trustee or Fire Camp. I was convicted and pled to the lowest percentage saving time on a trial, it was the only way to guarantee 50% meaning 2/1 days served. Initial offers are generally high to scare you into plea deals. having priors really hamstrings you in the judges eye. Continue to obtain as much recovery, volunteer for therapy and behavioral modification and rack up as much AA classes as you can in lue of plea deal or trial verdict. If your lucky the judge will use those as time served prior to incarceration. Trustee is a good way to go, your provided a lot more amenities. That’s how I passed my 4 months in country before prison.

3 Likes

Just be you as you are here Cade. Be your honest self. Slightly adjust your presentation to the type of judge you are facing. That’s all advice I have. I’d say to the judge that MrCade’s done wrong and he knows and accepts that there’s consequences of his actions to face. MrCade is a guy who’s working his guts of to face the consequences of his actions and puts his all into becoming a better man. And IMHO is making very good progress too, and I hope he gets the chance from the judge to keep working at becoming ever better.

2 Likes

Correct, I am in California.
The current offer includes 2 guilty pleas. (1 felony DUI and 1 grievous bodily injury “enhancement”)
Both charges carry 3 year mandatory prison sentences @ 85%. The prosecutors will “stay” one of the sentences, leaving me with a 3 year profession sentence @85%.

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience with me. I am completely changed by this last year of recovery. My time in custody is simply the last step in this transformation into the person I’m meant to become.

6 Likes

That’s great to hear about how recovery has been helpful in changing your life and I guess who or whomever your HP is pray that the courts find that as well in handing down sentencing. I can’t remember exactly if more than 10 years extrapolates the Felony Dui but that’s probably the case in a 3 year 85% term. That’s a hard one tbh and like I said best bet is what your doing now and if you have started therapy get letters and go to AA classes and get signatures. Also maybe in your plea work the percentage down to 80% atleast. 85% at best I believe drops to 66% and there’s things inside you can do voluntarily to get extra credits. 50% is the best bc you will eventually qualify for 33% time which would turn your 3 years into maybe 14 months with no incidents. Another piece of advice I can give that I received day one in prison not county is whatever you do find is your release date bc of what happens to go on in Prison be very grateful and thankful if you actually make it out before then. That’s not to alarm you but to just have you prepared. A lot happens in there that just really sucks man and it’s a different world and the more you spend the more it warps your mind tbh. You see people leaving there with a mentality that is very different to societies view of what goes on. I still have a desire to be very aware of my surroundings more than need be bc of my experience and very aggressive to people at times that don’t follow simple rules. In there youll find simple rules all over for the overall greater good and also see not following them and what can transpire.

If you have any questions man I was in CDCR and would be more than happy to help answer any questions you have privately.

2 Likes