Being alone in sobriety sucks

Being back in my home town visiting my family has thrown me back off. However, normally the anxiety of being back here I would start drinking about noon and drink until I went to bed. Inatroved early yest morning and didn’t have a drink until almost 5. I had a couple beers and a mixed drink and stopped. I am only here one more day and know I will drink today as well as honestly to some degree that’s how my family relates to one another. I am going to try to keep it lite so I dont get drunk, I do feel a little defeated and weak. I don’t really need advice or encouragement I guess I just wanted to express my feelings and who knows maybe tomorrow I’ll post and not have drank at all. The road to sobriety can be such a lonely uphill battle when most of your social connections…including family involve drinking.

6 Likes

Hi. Hopefully you can just take it easy today or not at all but I completely understand where you are coming from as far as family and friends relating over alcohol, that’s everyone I know. And I get being alone and struggling with alcohol where everyone thinks it’s fine but I’m just gonna try and use this time of lock down as a bit of a springboard for breaking some of this habits that I have got stuck in. I hope you’re gonna take it easy man. Take care

4 Likes

Sorry you are struggling with your family. My husband drinks and most of our friends drink. But you know, I don’t have to drink just because my husband does. I know it may feel like that you have to to fit in or be comfortable or whatever, but you don’t have to. You choose to. I don’t mean that in a harsh way, just in a real way.

I know you didn’t want advice…so I hope you will forgive me. I just want you to know that 100% you can be your own person and not drink alcohol around others who are drinking alcohol.

Hope it is a good day for you. :heart:

11 Likes

I get it. My spouse still dinks and a lot of my family members too. And it can test you for sure. I’m just concentrating on my own sobriety. It can feel lonely. Hope you have a good day :heart:

3 Likes

I know exactly how you feel! I’m the only one in my family sober. Everyone around me associates family time with drinking or at least having a few drinks. I managed to attend 2 occasions where drinking was heavily involved and I was the only sober one. It was definitely a test. I had to remove myself before I gave in. It does get easier. Currently on day 37. I know it’s probably hard to get away from your family right now, but hopefully you have a good day. Take care

6 Likes

I sure hope you come back tomorrow and say you didn’t drink. Your sobriety is your choice, not your family’s. We’re all going to come across those people in life that think drinking is “normal” and that’s when we have to pull out every tool and stay strong. Your family, of all people, should be your biggest supporters.

2 Likes

I won’t drink, because I don’t drink. I am a non-drinker. Would I take a cigarette that was offered, or go buy a pack at a store? No, because I am a non-smoker. There’s so many things others do, that I will not do, simply because I don’t do these things. When I quit drinking, I added it to the list, and haven’t since added.

4 Likes

It is really hard to not drink around other people who are drinking. My wife is still drinking every day. Some days not so much but other days passed out on the couch at 6. It’s hard. I feel so lonely that I’m always the only sober one. And there’s so many good reasons for drinking right now. But I’m not going to do it. I know you didn’t ask for advice but you DID post on here. I feel right now like my sobriety comes before my family and I would avoid family if I had to in your situation. They would understand. If they don’t then… me personally I would have some harsh thoughts and words and definitely avoid them. Sorry your going through this. It must really suck.
:pray:t2::heart:

2 Likes