Being sober is not amazing

I think I’m experiencing the sobriety honeymoon or “pink cloud” right now and I’m kinda scared of the day it is going to end. Right now I feel great but this thought keeps gnawing on the back of my brain that it’s only temporary and when it ends I might grab the bottle again… Scary. Anyone have experiences on “hitting the wall” and how to cope with it?

2 Likes

I quit drinking for a year a few years back, the amazing feeling never went, what happened for me was that I forgot the damage I’d done to myself and others. Then I thought that I could control my drinking only have one or two… I couldn’t :frowning:

2 Likes

Yes, I’ve applied that logic also few times back with not so good results. I think now for the first time I aknowledge that those thoughts will come at some point so that’s some progress I guess? Trying to remember all the bad shit from drinking in the future also.

1 Like

I guess that’s why meetings are important? Hearing otters stories remind us more than our own mind will allow? I’m trying life ring over AA this time around as AA just never Sat well with me

1 Like

I looked back at my early diaries recently. At day 9 I was still struggling, sweating in my sleep, obsessively learning ukelele from YouTube to keep myself from thinking about alcohol. I’m now on 9 months, I honestly never think of alcohol and if I do it’s just a passing thought. My life has completely changed, I had a psychic/spiritual awakening and I just feel blessed every day. Everyones journey will be different but it will be worth it in the end.

9 Likes

It’s not faking happiness. Happiness is something you create. Choose to be happy and then do things that fill your life with positivity and before you know it that will get you through any dark times.
I remember being maybe 1 month sober at my friends wedding and how stressed out I was…I didn’t know how to cope with not drinking.I cried my eyes out on the way home.
I no longer do that. It’ll get better, just put in the work to get yourself there.

2 Likes

Good for you! When I was 22 I was just getting started! You are off to a great start. Where are you travelling?

My pink cloud lasted exactly 3 days, and then I was like, “oh shit.” I’m day 62. It’s been a series of walls and windows.

1 Like

Yes luckily I caught on early that I had a problem. I first took cocaine and started heavily drinking when I was 18 & I fell in love with it, started just as fun then turned into something completly different. I was using to escape from my own mind. I’ve struggled with depression since I was 15 & this was my escape. Been travelling for 18 months so far, currently in nz & im so proud that I’ve realised and acknowledged my problem now rather than further down the line. Thanks for your support :slight_smile: :heart:

1 Like

First days were of course hard. I remember myself crying because of the idea of not drinking anymore. I miss drinking sometimes. But the point is to make a good comparison. Ok drinking can make someone happy but later it sucks. Being sober is much better. Please be patient. Alcohol is nothing but trouble.

3 Likes

I understand where you’re coming from! I feel like I have to keep reminding myself that even though I want a drink that I’m quitting for a reason and that I kind of have to fake being positive about quitting. But in the end it will be worth it. Im here if you need to talk!
You got this!

2 Likes

@Ndlg92
Hey Nancy,
You have support. You are here. Find a meeting. Go to it. Those around you may not support you. They may even try to sabotage you. You can’t control that. You can only control you.
This isn’t about anyone else. This is about you. This is working to make up for “Past Sins” to use a religious word. You aren’t making it up to anyone other than yourself.
I quit a hundred times. I told everyone I was quitting…and serious this time…and I’d fall off. No one believed me anymore. So when I for real quit, I didn’t say anything. I was embarrassed because I had talked, but not delivered.

This is about you. You do it for you. No one else. We dug this hole for ourselves, we have to work out of it.
Best,
Chandler

4 Likes

One of the best posts I have read on this forum. Keep those thoughts close and stay sober one day at a time.

1 Like

I have been clean of heroin for 1 year 3 months by going to the methadone clinic. I have 14mg left and I’m going down 2mg a week. I’m beginning to feel the withdrawals and I’m not sure what I should do to feel better. I don’t want to stop going down because I want to be off of methadone completely. For me the hardest months on the clinic was the first month and the last month. The first month it was hard because I was getting off heroin and the last month is hard becaus e I’m getting off methadone. Do any of you have any advice on what I should do to help go through the withdrawls a little easier!?? Any advice will be greatly appreciated!!!

Thank you so much! Almost halfway through day 60, now! :muscle:

1 Like

9 days without a drink doing great i can vaguely remember my first nine days i was shaking and my head was all over the place i was going to AA meetings and after a while my racing mind stopped and i got a sponsor and never looked back if a old scotsman like me can do it anyone can everyone have agood day

2 Likes

I wouldn’t call my up days a sober high. I am working hard to be happy with what hand i have been dealt. When i go a day without drinking i literally give myself a tap on the back and say well done girl. I am on day 11 now an taking one day at a time. What we also have to remember is even non addicts have their good and bad days because that’s life an we will have similar days as well so i accept there will be bad days but they will be dealt with and overcome. I have had the shittest life but i choose not to dwell on my past. I’ve spent far too much time doing that when i was drunk. I choose to look forward an leave the past behind, with being sober now it makes all that possible to achieve. I am proud of myself for not drinking anymore.

2 Likes

Forward is the best direction to go. Living involves moving forward!

1 Like

Thanks so much Chandler, tomorrow I’m attending my first meeting. Weirdly i’m kind of nervous but I do want to quit for real this time, most of all I want to believe in myself again. Hope you’re doing great.

Dude, good response. More or less describes me. I’m in day 103. Keep up the good work.

1 Like