Being ungrateful

I have been sober this time for 2 weeks. Ive been recovery for about 2 years.this time its so hard for me to just be grateful and i don’t understand why. I mean i have been homeless, in prison,dead a few times, in impatient treatment. So where im at now is an absolute blessing,but still i find it hard sometimes to just be grateful. Sometimes i am but when things dont go my way i get so selfish and act like a complete idiot. I know things could be so much worse. I pray my god will take this from me everyday ,and just saying that seems to help a bit,but i dont like being this way.

7 Likes

One thing that helped me was to do a daily gratitude practice. Every morning I write down 5 things I’m grateful for, it can be something as small as my breakfast all the way up to something big like the universe seeing fit to keep me alive and healthy today and everything in between. I do it every single day, and writing it down matters a lot. It matters even more to do this when I am not feeling grateful, when I’m feeling some self pity or frustration or sadness, etc. We can train our brains to think more gratefully if we practice it, it doesn’t necessarily come naturally, if you catch my drift.

Keep trying! Congrats on your two weeks and keep fighting for your recovery - it’s so worth it.

7 Likes

Welcome to the community :raising_hand_woman:
And big congratulations on your 2 weeks.
I found in my experience getting sober, it took a little while for me to experience life and all the little things as good even when things went wrong it felt terrible but as the sober days build up so does managing life sober.
Your doing great stick with it and everything else seems to fall into place.

2 Likes

Welcome!! And congratulations on your 2 weeks and surviving all life has thrown at you.

We feel what we feel, you know? It is okay to not feel grateful and just accept this is what you are feeling right now. For myself, it becomes a problem if I get ‘stuck’ in the feeling or if I try to push it away. All our feelings are valid. Sometimes we just need to sit with something to see how it feels within us for awhile and then one day, IDK, we see a pretty sunset or we have some damn good coffee and we just feel different, grateful again, for that experience.

Just my experience. Glad you are here and sharing!

4 Likes

Hi and congrats on 2 weeks. You sound like you’re being hard on yourself for not feeling a way you think you should, but you also said that you are in recovery from a way of living that caused you death. I think you should ease up on yourself. You know you want to feel grateful and positive, but you’re not there yet, maybe because your mind and body is still reeling and healing from things and events that were hard. Your mind could also be trying to get you to give up and pick up, convincing you it’s all pointless because you feel nothing. Try just letting yourself be sober, no strings attached. Maybe record how you are feeling every morning so you can mark progress daily instead of projecting so far into the future and how you think you should be. If you still feel like you just can’t feel anything positive, maybe therapy is a good option to see if there is a medical cause like depression. But give yourself some grace and space. You are making good choices and you’re working on recovering. If you’re not proud, I am.

2 Likes

Think of it as your addict to talking to you and routines to unlearn.
Focus on all that is good. Yes it’s easier said than done.

2 Likes