Being with people

so this is like really stupid i guess but i find it really hard connecting with other people bc of the scars. no one knows abt it bc i hide it very well so it makes it extra difficult to make connections with people, especially romantic connections, bc i dont want them to see me naked and see the scars and/or cuts. even being with my friends is hard and exhausting sometimes bc i go to every length possible to keep it from them but like i feel uncomfy going to the bathroom to change into jammies when i or they stay over to avoid them seeing the damage ive done to my body. i go to all these lengths but then i feel like it makes it even more obvious that im hiding something. idek if this makes any sense but its something ive been struggling with a lot

5 Likes

Not stupid at all Dina. Welcome. I hope you can find some support here. All strength and success in your struggle for a better life lady.

4 Likes

True Beauty comes from the inside, it’s what inside that counts. A person can be beautiful on the outside but ugly on the inside. Don’t let the scars stop you from being happy, let your inner beauty shine through.

3 Likes

thank you, i truly appreciate the support!! i need something to keep me grounded and this is helping a lot

1 Like

The scars are the past. Some of us have visible scars from our darkest days and others don’t. They tell a story, one that doesn’t need to be repeated, that is damaging in itself. It happened and they will always be there. Be happy that you are still alive. We know many that aren’t as fortunate, we are here for a reason. Look beyond your scars and let the real you out. Shine brightly and glow. Take the power away from the scars and let them fade out of the big picture. You are beautiful, inside and out. Be proud of all of your accomplishments, smile, laugh and have fun!! May God surround you with beautiful, loving, caring people that love you for the wonderful gift that you are!! Peace and love to you, my sweet friend.

4 Likes

thank you for the kind words, its hard to see the beauty but its nice to be reminded that its there even when it doesnt feel like it

3 Likes

wow, i didnt know it but i really needed to hear this. its shed some light on a new perspective for me. sometimes its hard to see the good within myself even when others can see it. im overwhelmed with the support ive already received, its very beautiful. *side note, im vegan as well so thats like super cool!

4 Likes

Take time every day to give love to yourself. Look in the mirror, look into your eyes and say “I love you”. It may sound silly, but it is quite empowering. You must love yourself first, in order to be loved. And feed yourself good wholesome foods as well, fresh fruits and veggies always make me feel better. And don’t forget a little exercise, A nice walk, swim, bike ride, yoga or a hard core workout at the gym, whatever makes you happy. Many blessings and God always with you :pray: :green_heart:

2 Likes

welcome Dinay to this amazing group of people. good for reaching out about this. I can reltae, but am aware of the subject being difficult.
Do you think that you yourself have made peace with the scars and the body?
We can not undo the scars built up by life (phusical ones or the ones we cannot see). going out in public makes us fel more vulnerable. (for me it does) and the vulnerability is also the reason do inflict self harm.
When I got very wounded years ago somehow I convinced myself that no one would ever except me anymore with this. I think by that time went over and I kinda accepted the scars but in a way where I hardened myself and did not give permission to feel the pan behind that.
now that gradually comes to surface.
Having these realisations and healing from this requires self love and is a delicate thing for ‘people like us’ I guess.
You have to feel grounded enough to hold space for yourself and have the tools to ground when going into this gradually, one step at the time. Maybe self love and self harm are the flip sides of one coin.
on a practical level what helped me to come with going out into the world with it was to have a story line that did not drag me into the trauma that caused it. “I was in a bad accident” (I have a tendency to over explain and overshare which makes me in the end feel more vulnerable.)
healing and accepting of it will come in its own time but probably not in a social setting where you do not feel save.
wishI had some realy good ife hack to share …but jeah…
Know you are not alone, You are loved!

2 Likes

Hi Dina,

I can understand your self conscious, about your scars, even being asked questions about them, it’s a terrible mindset to be in, and often never gets better. I have a rather large scar that raises questions all the time I’ve hid it for years to avoid the idea of explaining it.

I can say it is difficult to overcome I didn’t start embracing the scar until my 30s and I have has it my entire life.

My thing is especially with close friends and intimate partners, they shouldn’t be viewing the scars as repulsive, but as part of you. I do hope you overcome your fears all the best

1 Like