Best advice for a new sober?

I am on day 1… I mean not even. This is the first time I’m really serious about it. I want to get help and I don’t want to lose my family.

What worked the most for you in the beginning? I have been a binger but not a day drinker, so I’m not experiencing withdrawal symptoms. However the desire is there! Help please :sob::heart:

13 Likes

Welcome!

A mantra that helped me was, “I always regret drinking. I never regret not drinking”.

I also filled the time I used to spend drinking with other, healthier activities. Still do!

7 Likes

The best advice I have is, no matter what happens, don’t drink!

5 Likes

Be good to yourself, get down to basics. Eat healthy, sleep as much as you want, exercise if you can, reach out, find a friend or friends who might support your plan. This is a good start, coming here and opening up. Great start! You started! Take it one minute at a time if you have to. Try to check your sobriety date often, be aware of what you are doing right. There are so many different support groups out there. Be open to healthy suggestions, friendships. Take a snap shot of your self now and then compare the difference as you stay sober, you might be presently surprised.

3 Likes

Welcome! One of the many things that helped me (I was also a binge drinker and. not a day drinker, unless on vacation or celebrating something or lunch out or…), was keeping a list on my phone on what drinking offered and how I wanted to live my life…whenever I would think ‘just one’ I would read my list and remember why I started this journey. Here is some of it…

What I will gain from not drinking and how I want to live my life…

• Feel healthy, clear and strong - mentally and physically
  • No hangovers ever!!
  • Treating my husband with respect and no drunk fighting
  • Self respect gets a major boost
  • No more internal conflict about drinking and if/how can I cut down or stop
  • Restful restorative uninterrupted sleep!!! (Still working on this one!)
  • No waking up wondering where I am or who I am with
  • Major pride in myself and all that I have and can accomplish
  • A sense of peace and calm
  • No more embarrassment and shame because of my drunk behavior
  • Forgiving myself for past mistakes and terrible judgement
  • No wondering what I did or how I hurt husband or others while drunk
  • No treating people I love, including myself, poorly while drunk
  • No drunk driving and possibly hurting self or others or jail
  • No upset stomach from drinking
  • No anxiety and near constant agitation when hungover
  • No dark suicidal thoughts
  • No shame around neighbors if I was loud and yelling or loud music
  • No blackouts ever
  • No overwhelming shame at my behavior
  • No oversharing with strangers while drunk or making plans I will need to cancel
  • Not having to check my phone in the middle of the night to delete social media posts - no drunk texting/emails/posts/calls
  • Not be bloated and puffy and look haggard
  • Major pride in myself and a boost in self esteem
  • No hangovers ever again (this needs to be said twice!!!)
  • No more excuses or lies
  • Peace of mind
  • Self respect, self esteem, self confidence, self love :heart:
10 Likes

Its always a good idea at day 1 to try to calm a bit down, especially when the landing on the ground of sobriety is rough after a binge, i know this feeling…Don’t worry, it goes by. For the rest, there are bigger experts than me. Maybe one thing: Going to a doctor is always a good idea, for several reasons.

Wish you all the best

Greetings
ThePower

2 Likes

My first day was spent on the couch, chugging water, binge watching tv.

Then it was IOP, meeting, walk, work, walk to store for eats, sleep. That was basically everyday for 3 months.

4 years 8+ months later glad i did everything i could, cause life is pretty fuckin good these days

6 Likes

My advice would be to get rid of anything in your house, tip it down the sink. Temptation is gone.
Also, change your thinking, you’re not depriving yourself of anything, you are actually rewarding yourself by not drinking, looking after yourself so to speak.
And read read read, teach yourself about alcohol, its effects on mind and body, really interesting.
:sparkling_heart:

3 Likes

The biggest thing for me was to find something else to do. I drank after work and on weekends. Sometimes I was a day drinking but mostly just after work.
So after work now I work out, work on puzzles, read books, watch tv.
One day I was doing my nails with the tv on after I had read for a bit and I just thought hmmm… this is what teenage me did. I started doing drugs when I was 13 and drinking when I was 15 so for me to return to what I know makes sense to me. I’m still trying to figure out all the things I like to do.

So my long winded advice is find something you like to do and do that instead of spending the time drinking :blush:

5 Likes

What worked for me was AA and or NA meetings, and consistent attendance at them coupled with active utilisation of the steps and so fourth

4 Likes

I had very bad withdrawal symptoms in the first week, so I tried to get down to basics: fill my time with things I like and treating myself with kindness as if I was getting over sickness. Hydrate, sleep, watch tv, eat whatever felt good, light exercise (long walks).

My mantra for the first month whenever I thought about having one drink was: “I don’t want ‘one drink’, because ‘one drink’ for me is three, and three is ten.” So I haven’t had the first drink that leads to disaster for the past 6 months.

I also focused on the 24 hours ahead of me. Not on whatever is going on the next day. As long as I go to bed sober today, it’s mission accomplished. :relaxed:

1 Like

Best advice I can give is embrace it.

You cry uncontrollably for no reason - you haven’t truly felt in a long time. Cry it out.

Your sad - you been masking your emotions with substances for a long time. You’re going to be sad. Take the time to understand what is at the root of your sadness

You don’t know how to act in public - it’s 2022 no one does anymore. Take a look around and enjoy the sights you see. Take in the environment and nature because during addiction you more than
Likely never did.

You have no friends - that okay. Take time to acquaint yourself with yourself again. Listen to your inner voice and allow yourself time to just sit with yourself.

4 Likes

Pure gold! Will take that advice to heart on my journey too :smiley:

3 Likes

Thank you everyone!!! I officially made it 24 hours. Now to tackle the next lol :joy: I appreciate you’re advice. It really helped!

8 Likes

My best advice is to ignore the thoughts that point you back to your addiction.

2 Likes

Well done on the first 24hrs! :tada:

One more thing that helped me: celebrate the small milestones and small successes. Doesn’t have to be expensive or complicated. A bubble bath, a small ice cream you really like, a new scent that makes you feel good, a walk or run outside, a cup of iced coffee while out…you’re doing something wondeful for yourself and your loved ones. it’s worth celebrating in a happy and healthy way!

2 Likes

try a meeting plenty of sober people there who have been were you are now and have experience and will help you on your journey. they helped me wish you well

3 Likes

Great advice here!! And good job on your 24 hours!!!

2 Likes

I am a newbie too! Today is day 2 for me. Yesterday I found out that I did better with my cravings if I came on here and read through posts. I spent a lot of time yesterday on here. I also made some good hearty stuffed cabbage soup. Today I am trying to stay productive but I also snuck in a nap. Being productive helps to make me feel like the mom I should be.

4 Likes

That’s actually what I did! Plus an AA meeting today (got myself a sponsor and calling tomorrow) one in person and two online yesterday. Didn’t go to the same gas station I got my alcohol from not the local supermarket so I would be in a different habit. But this app has helped!!! You’re so dang right. We’ve got this Mama

3 Likes