Best parts of sobriety

What were the best parts of getting sober, both physical changes and other life changes?

I’m always so inspired by before and after photos as you can just see how much happier people are without the substance having control over them. I thought it would be motivating to read some stories and have something to look forward to!

16 Likes
  1. No more hangovers
  2. I have so much more money (since I’m not spending in on alcohol)
  3. I’m not dead
17 Likes

Being able to have a more long term outlook on life, instead of living day-to-day. Not having to take time off work and cancel plans with friends. Having more money to spend :money_mouth_face:

13 Likes

Best part: Not adding to life’s difficulties by putting alcohol in the mix.

“There’s nothing that a drink won’t make worse.”

11 Likes

Freedom is the biggest positive thing for me. Waking up every morning without guilt, shame and or not remembering the previous evening. I never get tired of waking up free and content. Having a calm mind without hangxiety, knowing I can handle my thoughts and my create my day is amazing.

12 Likes

I’ve lost alot of weight and my anxiety is pretty much gone. I sleep better now then I have in over ten years. My friends tell me I look different, they say I look younger and glow. My husband looks at me with such love and pride, instead of worry, fear and hurt. My energy is abounding and I feel alive in a very content way. Last week my husband noticed that the whites in my eyes are whiter and brighter than he’s ever seen or remembers. The biggest plus for me has been stability in my moods and the disappearance of self-loathing. When I think I miss alcohol, I focus on what happens hrs after the first drink and that helps me refocus on my sobriety. Wishing you the very best in sobriety!!!

20 Likes

Love this, thank you for sharing!

3 Likes

Best parts about getting sober:
I’m alive… not missing or dead
Have stability in my physical and mental health
Don’t have to cover my arms due to track marks
Better relationships
Can hold down a job
No increase in debt
No violence and/or abuse
I’m not just surviving anymore
Not doing illegal things to get $$
I can sleep!!! AND eat!!! Lol
Not being so damn selfish… being able to help others n be present with family
Gaining self esteem, self love, and self respect
I’ve been able to get to know me and discover my passions
I went to college
I’m free!!

28 Likes

Incentive: what have I done in sobriety? What did I benefit from TS?
From California, I went to England for the first time, sober, and met with my beautiful DanniBoo @anon27760155!!! Then went to Ireland to go and see Conor @Conor689908!!! I spent my 50th awesome BDay in Ireland too :heart::heart::heart:

Then they came to California for Thanksgiving with @Jennajen !!!

Among all the other wonderful and beautiful things that has happened to me since June 9, 2020 :heart::heart::heart: I wouldn’t trade my AF life for anything and am now LIVING life!!! I wake up before opening my eyes in the morning and think about the blessings my day is going to give me and NOT think about what and how much I drank the night before or what did I do to embarrass myself or just feeling like crap.

And it all started with: Sober Day #1 :blush:

26 Likes

Not being controlled by a substance anymore is great AND no more lying to myself or anyone else is wonderful. Life is just way easier sober even when it’s throwing everything it can at you. I’m also in way better physical shape.

8 Likes

I forgot to add being able to enjoy food. That’s a huge one.

I used to avoid eating because it would prevent me from getting as drunk as possible. Now I can actually enjoy meals and eat to stay healthy, since I work out a lot now, like @Dan531 mentioned.

10 Likes

That’s where I want to.be…especially a kind look from my husband. We seem to be getting along much better now that I’m not binge drinking!

12 Likes

No hangovers ever!!

Self respect!!

Loving myself!!!

13 Likes

I had to stop all drinking. He told me that my drinking triggered his “pain body”. He had experienced such trauma from my worst drunken times, that even seeing me consuming one drink, petrified him though he kept it to himself. I have attempted to quit many times before and failed and I lived a decade in complete denial before something finally clicked. I think he knows, that this time it’s for sure and he can now see that. I wish you the best :yellow_heart:

3 Likes

Not having hangovers is a definite plus. Actually remembering all of the conversations that I have is another one. Exercising again and realizing how much I missed it. And just generally being happier without the mood swings.

4 Likes

Good poops.
One of sobriety’s greatest gifts

66f85fbe35795800f248a0d2d81604139862cbb69eefcfe9f3c2ccf44c562c40.0

18 Likes

Best thing about sobriety is Everything. Peace and Good luck too everyone.

5 Likes

Clearer thinking

6 Likes

The ability to own my shit. Sobriety allows me to take 100% responsibility for my life. I have no control over events or other people but I am responsible for how I respond. I am responsible for my thoughts and the way they shape how I perceive the world. I am responsible for my self-talk and how that shapes the way I see myself. I am responsible for where I am today. No blame, no excuses. That feels great.

11 Likes

Love this response!

1 Like