Best Reasons To Stay Sober

Iv seen some sweet lists on this forum. I would love to have a place to look back at all the reasons we are staying sober. Mentally, Physically, whatever works for you/motivates you.
Continuing the discussion from Newfound Sobriety:

4 Likes

There are many reasons I want to stay sober. I guess obviously health is a big reason. But to be honest I just want to stop feeling like a failure. Stop Feeling like I’m worthless when I wake up the next day and have no recollection of what I’ve done. When I have once again let the alcohol control me. That horrible embarrassed feeling when you realized you have done it again.

4 Likes

Here’s a couple reasons :slight_smile:

13 Likes
  1. My family: they deserve me at my best and I want to be a positive role model for my 2 daughters
  2. My marriage: I want to be close to my husband and connect on a genuine and authentic level
  3. My health: I want to have energy to work out and be fit and do all the running and hiking I love to do
  4. My self-esteem: I want to love myself and have peace in my mind and heart, and be free of guilt, shame, and anxiety
10 Likes

As I started my journey I wasn’t sure I was capable of doing this. But at that point in my life I was lost and beyond broken. I simply knew that I couldn’t cope with this much especially after the alcohol quit numbing it. It was a terrible cycle. So I accepted a hand when it got extended. In the first month my reason was to actually figure out if all this BS I was learning and seeing is truly possible. Maybe in month two I decided well shit something is working so I keep at it to be better for my kids. Around 100 days I decided I was kinda liking life and more importantly I was almost capable of liking me! So I guess where I’m going with my babbling is I think your reasons will evolve as you get healthy. Now my best reasons are the relationships I have with my kids. The life I’m rebuilding is such a great thing. In my life I never knew what peace in my soul felt like until I found recovery. Every relationship I have in my life now is a healthy one. I don’t have to worry about my motives. I’m constantly willing to offer my hand to those that need it. I love the person in the mirror and that’s a new one for me. So I’m curious if my reasons will continue to evolve.

3 Likes

@Serenity412…exactly my reasons (except for the running :wink: )!!!

1 Like