Bible verses for Motivation and Knowledge

Me too. Proverbs kept me out of trouble growing up around chaos x

1 Like

Matthew 5:9 “Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God”

We must learn to make peace with ourselves before we can expect it with others.

11 Likes

1 Peter 5:8 “Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy, the Devil is prowling about like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour.”

10 Likes

2 CORINTHIANS 10:5 (NIV) - “We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.”

This verse reminds me that I am under constant attack and I need to be vigilant when the voice in my head says, “go on, one drink won’t hurt”. I expunge lying thoughts by thinking the word W.I.N (Whats Important Now). And the answer to that question is always, not alcohol. I give thanks to God each time I defeat an attacking thought.

9 Likes

Ohhh wow, thank you for posting this. Now I will associate the word WIN with what you had mentioned. :blush:

4 Likes

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

11 Likes

HEBREWS 12:12-17 (NIV)-“12 Therefore, strengthen your feeble arms and weak knees. 13 Make level paths for your feet, so that the lame may not be disabled, but rather healed14 Make every effort to live in peace with everyone and to be holy; without holiness no one will see the Lord. 15 See to it that no one falls short of the grace of God and that no bitter root grows up to cause trouble and defile many. 16 See that no one is sexually immoral, or is godless like Esau, who for a single meal sold his inheritance rights as the oldest son. 17 Afterward, as you know, when he wanted to inherit this blessing, he was rejected. Even though he sought the blessing with tears, he could not change what he had done.”

SUMMARY: This verse gives both a warning and encouragement. It reminds me to protect what’s most important and to be strong where my willpower and strength may be at its lowest.

In the book of Genesis, the Bible tells an interesting story about twin brothers who illustrate this point. The elder son, Esau, was favored by his father, Isaac, because of his prowess as a hunter. In contrast, the younger son, Jacob, was a quiet homebody.

One day, Esau returned home from an unsuccessful hunting trip totally famished, and demanded some stew from his brother. “I’ll give you food,” agreed Jacob, “but first, trade me your birthright.” Esau replied, “Okay, I’m so hungry, I’m about to die.” So Esau traded the honors due to him as the firstborn son for a simple meal of stew.

Upon first glance, it’s easy to ridicule Esau’s decision. I cannot imagine selling your whole birthright for a pot of soup. But I had to look at my own life and ask, “What great thing have I traded for so little in return? How often have I traded sobriety for drunkenness? What temporary pleasure have I craved so much that I gave up lasting victory?”

The way out that God provides is the ability to decide in advance what I will and will not consume each day. I plan the layout of my house so that alcohol is hidden from eyesight. I avoid situations and people from my past that would entice me to drink. I take part in a structured program to help cure my disease and become part of a supportive community. The absolute worst time for me to resist alcohol is when I am anxious. So I have been trying to reduce stress in my life and develop a healthier self care regime.

6 Likes

Mother nature is great to clear the head

2 Likes

MATHEW 6:16-18(NIV)-“16 When you fast, do not look somber as the hypocrites do, for they disfigure their faces to show others they are fasting. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. 17 But when you fast, put oil on your head and wash your face, 18 so that it will not be obvious to others that you are fasting, but only to your Father, who is unseen; and your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.”

SUMMARY: This reminds me to keep myself neat, under control and humble throughout sobriety. To resist the urge to make a huge public performance over feelings of intense suffering that comes with withdrawal. To understand that the pain I am feeling speaks more to feelings of loss rather than actual physical pain. Be comfortable in sharing only to the point of maintaining sobriety but no further than that.

6 Likes

1 Corinthians 13:11 NIV
When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me.

3 Likes

“Happy the man who follows not the counsel of the wicked, nor walks in the way of sinners, nor sits in the company of the insolent,
But delights in the law of the LORD and meditates on his law day and night.
He is like a tree planted near running water, that yields it’s fruits in due season, and whose leaves never fade. Whatever he does, prospers.”

Psalm 1:1:1234:

I thought of you when I read this @anon53189373

3 Likes

Versus vs. verses

2 Likes

Just tagging @Swam following your previous post. Lots of Christians here and some pretty inspiring quotes.

This one is epic :point_up:️. Great stuff here

2 Likes

Thank you for pointing out the 40 days and 40 nights. That’s a great reminder that we can accomplish temptation as well as Jesus did. :grin:

3 Likes

Clothe yourselves with the full armor of God so that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the powers, against the world rulers of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavens. For this reason, take up the full armor of God so that you may be able to stand your ground on the evil day, and having done everything, to stand. Stand firm therefore, by fastening the belt of truth around your waist, by putting on the breastplate of righteousness, by fitting your feet with the preparation that comes from the good news of peace, and in all of this, by taking up the shield of faith with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. And take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.
Ephesians 6:11‭-‬17 NET
https://bible.com/bible/107/eph.6.11-17.NET

4 Likes

That’s the verse that came to mind first…God bless you my brother!!!

Halleluyah!!! Praise the Lord my Sista!!!

1 Like

Praise the Lord Sista!!!