Big hurdle approaching

I am showing some of my photography this month at a little bistro. The venue asked that I host an opening reception this coming Saturday.

I’ve pretty much mastered the art of ordering club soda at restaurants, but flying sober at a social event where I’m being judged (or at least my photos are), having to talk to people I don’t know, worrying that no one will come, or that they will.

It feels like the first big test. (Bigger than surviving the holidays even). Normally I’d have 2-3 glasses of wine to calm the nerves.

Here’s to just being present in the anxiety out in the real world, exposed. Clink! (With fizzy water). Wish me luck.

8 Likes

Youl be ok everyone in that Bistro will be there to look at your photos and admire your work thats an acheivment its self ,

and they are the same as you dont have to drink to talk to people best wishes ,

1 Like

What a great accomplishment! You must have quite a talent. You can do this without alcohol. You are already being positively received or this bistro wouldn’t even be interested in holding this event. Just think…they have enough faith in you and your work to basically allow you to represent them for this! That is awesome. Don’t dilute the joy of that with poison. I am very proud of you. You got this! :star::star::star:

3 Likes

Oh wow how amazing!! And won’t it feel even more amazing when you wake up the next day hangover free and remembering all the lovely things that have been said about your photos! Good luck, I’m sure you’ll do great x

1 Like

Yep, I should be nothing but happy and grateful. But that social anxiety…thanks for the encouragement!

1 Like

I suspect your exhibit will be great, well-received, and you will be so glad you did it sober. This will be a tremendous confidence boost, and another triumph over the social anxiety that so worries you.

Speak and think positive things. Visualization of the entire event where everything goes great. It will be what you will it to be.

2 Likes

Got it hung! Afterwards we went out for dinner after at a pub (only place nearby open on Mondays.) Had two club sodas and salad. The waitress was telling me about her Happy Hour specials. I ended up cutting her off because there were a lot of specials, and she may as well save her breath. 6oz glass of wine was $4. She would have had the “old me” at Hello!

3 Likes

Looks amazing! We are with you in spirit. You are awesome❤

1 Like

Thank you! That means a lot!!

Congrats! Just drop a lime into the club soda if it makes you feel more comfortable. Youre the artist so you get to be a little weird. No one will care. Plus, it’ll be easy to excuse yourself from a situation that makes you feel akward because you’re basically working. People will expect to have to share your attention.

1 Like

Congratulations! You have so much to be proud of… just try to enjoy the day. Being truly present will be amazing.

1 Like