Biggest triggers

So I was at an AA Meeting tonight and before the meeting, I was talking to a friend. We got on the subject of me relapsing so many times… She asked what my biggest triggers are. So I did some thinking and one of my biggest triggers are people! Hanging with the wrong people and thinking I can be around drugs or alcohol and not do it myself. I might be fine the first couple times I hung out, but after so many times, I ended up giving in. Or id be lonely and felt it was “okay” because I was just going to hang out, right? Also, another trigger is getting the “fuck its”. I use to be really quick to get them, but not so much anymore, thank God. When something went wrong, I’d drink or use. The original problem never got resolved and now I had a problem on top of a problem.
So I had to start doing things differently! I started hitting meetings and have been learning so much. I have 636 days and boy what an accomplishment. I had to change my way of thinking! I know today I cant do this alone, I have to ask for help! I had to build a support system and get a sponsor. I had to do the shit i did NOT want to do. I had to get a little uncomfortable to get comfortable… If i can get sober and stay sober. Anyone can do it!

14 Likes

Thank you for putting this out for us to read!

I assume you have changed the group of people you surround yourself with? Has that had a huge impact on your “trigger” feelings?

Yes, I changed my people, places, and things as they suggested and it’s been working ever since. I was very over whelmed when I got to the rooms of AA. So It was also suggested that i dont drink or use, go to meetings, and do the next right thing. I’ve kept it simple thus far and its working!

2 Likes

Thank you for this post. It is a realisation that I have come to as well. Far from being the extrovert that others believed me to be (with a drink in my hand) I’m actually happier at home doing quieter activities. I’m also readjusting my social life to be in “safer spaces” where I cannot be tempted into drinking. It’s tough, but at the same time I feel closer to being the person I truly am and though that is not without its challenges, it is a wonderful and important thing to do.

2 Likes