Bipolar and Getting Sober

Just went back to another psychiatrist today and reconfirmed my bipolar diagnosis. Anyone else getting clean with BP? I know most ppl don’t want to talk about it, but it’s who i am and an integral part of what makes me me. Maybe something i say will resonate with some suffering quietly. I hope so. If that’s you, I’m on your team.
i feel more manic since quitting drinking, which feels nice but worries me. On the plus side, i’ll be getting back on meds that have “severe” interactions with alcohol. That never stopped me before, but let’s pretend this is the first time and i get a redo. I can’t drink on these meds. (Mind tricks are great help.)
I know sobriety is the best choice, sick or not. And at least I’ll know what my true moods look like without drowning them in alcohol.

9 Likes

I’ve got BPD and I totally feel you on the manic part. But I got 27 days sober last month and it was amazing. I felt more in control of my life and my mood swings. I’m approaching day 2 now.

4 Likes

Hi yeah I’m bp too and it’s made life a living hell with addiction. I’m starting my first night sober in a while hopefully I can keep this white flag up. Trying to get that fabulous white chip :white_flag:

Thanks @Collie-Cendence, it’s reassuring to know that’s normal. Most if the time i feel great, but I’m definitely drifting towards the edge of mania more lately… it also makes me worry that I’ll get overly confident and start drinking in a situation bc i feel so good and in charge. Good luck this time, 27 days is great work. <3

Living hell, yes. I’ve been such a mess for so long, i was convinced that was me. I’m hopeful it’s not. Good luck with your chip collection! :smiley:

1 Like

Im bipolar too 1st day today off the drink hopefully i start feeling better soon

2 Likes

@Jynxyjo, Yes, Been clean 370 days
BPD, ADD, OCD, Addict, Depression along
4 autoimmune diseases

4 Likes

@lizak you’re a true rock star you go girl✨ you are just inspiration in a bag how do you do it I can only pray I get your strength I’m scheduled for a psyc evaluation I’m nervous to find out what all ive been self medicating no offense to any readers but its not very agreed upon in the black community to seek mental health treatment I’m pretty much 100 percent certain the alcoholism in my family stemmed from a mental illness I’m just worried I’ll get support from my family for sobriety but none at all for the mental illnesses scared of being the black sheep

3 Likes

I’ve been diagnosed bi polar 2 by a couple professionals. I’m at 100 days with nothing but cigarettes, no booze no pot no meds nada, and I feel a lot better than I ever have. I’m able to control certain urges and thoughts better. There are a few things I hope I can get a better grasp on but take it one day at a time and hopefully things will fall into place. Just cause someone says you have something shouldn’t make it scary. I have to tell myself that every day, but it works :slight_smile: keep fighting the good fight!

2 Likes

Welp, i just got on new meds so we’ll see what happens. I really like my new doc so hopefully i start leveling out on this stuff. So far i feel foggy and dumb as a bag of rocks, but at least i have my ducks in a row for now. Wait and see i guess. I’ll miss the mania, it’s been great lately but I was asking for trouble. :neutral_face:
I don’t have enough marbles left to think about drinking tho! Lololol

2 Likes

@Tiny1, Topamax, and Prozac, we are all alcohol syndrome babies, And my parents were drunk when they conceived us and our mother was drunk when she gave birth to us. And then we chewed on lead paint window seals as teething rings the whole time we grew up.

1 Like

Yeah my dad was drunk when he made me I’m sure of it :weary:

I have 13 brother 2 sisters living an 2 sibling pasted

You’re blessed big family now I see your mom really was a trooper I have one brother and one sister

1 Like

WOW huge family!! I would’ve gone bonkers.

1 Like