Birthday stress

So my first sober birthday is coming up (I’m almost 60 days sober). I knew my birthday would be stressful because of this but there has since been something kinda sucky.

My boyfriend was always going to go on a trip with his friends, in the middle of nowhere - him not realizing what weekend it was (my birthday weekend that I took off). I had wanted to go but thinking about it, it’s winter and in the middle of nowhere with nothing to do, what do you do then? Drink of course! So now I’m not sure if I want to go if everyone is just drinking all weekend long. Although there are going to be people that I personally haven’t seen in years that I would love to see.

Though if I choose not to go I also don’t want to stay at home alone all weekend long either.

(I have voiced these concerns to my boyfriend already and he 100% understands and there is no pressure from him to do one thing or the other)

I did joke about bringing my switch along and I’ll just game while everyone else is partying and drinking, my boyfriend wasn’t thrilled about the idea but hey a girls gotta do what a girl’s gotta do.

6 Likes

Hello luv, well done on 60 days :clap::clap:.
In my experience I avoided certain situations and old friends until I felt strong enough in sobriety to be in that sort of situation, that was 3 months + . I had to be honest with myself of if I could handle it if I was ready or still a bit easy to be persuaded by old friends and a habit I hadn’t long stopped,. Don’t stress, that can make your head worse, find some peace and ask higher powrrs that be for guidance :fist_left::fist_right::heart::fist_left::fist_right:

2 Likes

Thank you, I do have other friends that would definitely be around me, but the people there are actually coming from very far for this trip :confused: and I don’t think they will be able to spend time together anytime soon.

I know being alone definitely isn’t the solution, and definitely appreciate the advice

2 Likes

No pressure from your bf to do one thing or the other, but what ever you do just dont drink, if you think you can handle being around the drinking and want to see your friends who’s going to keep you from going.

2 Likes

I’ve done a bunch of those boonies trips and they are fun if you play cards and booze it up. I am a bit over 100 days now and I would not feel confidant I could be in that situation and stay sober. If you have any doubts at all, take a hard pass. There will be other opportunities to connect with those people. It’s okay to miss a couple parties to become a healthier sober you.

3 Likes

Hmmm weekend in the middle of nowhere or
A weekend at the spa, a dinner theater, massage, hot tub, hair did, shopping, call a few girlfriends, or whatever else that makes ME happy?
No brainer for me… spend your special day with happiness!!

3 Likes

I personally don’t see the value in going on such a trip just to see a bunch of people get drunk, even if they’re friends I haven’t seen in awhile.

And I don’t even drink! Never have.

2 Likes