Bittersweet Reflections on my 1st Sober Year

Today I have successfully made it to day 365. Yeah. Battle won but the war will continue.

A year ago today I hung a 16" by 20" picture of my dear older sister on my bedroom wall. It was symbolic. I wanted someone looking over me as I started this Sober journey.

She was just 55 when she died. Single mom. University educated. Worked all her life. Raised 3 great kids. Loved by family and freinds.

Always drank a bit. Then a bit more. Never in trouble with law or work. Eventually the kids were moving out. She was alone. The brakes were off. In short months she went into the abyss. Officially died of a heart attack … autopsy said death was certain anyway due to impending liver failure.

I just share this (especially with my sobriety sisters here on this app) because alcoholism is progressive but not necessarily in a straight line. We all think we can just jump off at the next station before we get in too deep but sometimes we can’t. When that drunken locomotive reaches runaway speed nothing will stop it until it kills all aboard and leaves devestation everywhere.

I am very happy to have made it to my one year. I wish I did it with my sister. To all those who have left the train lets make sure we dont get back on. To those trying to get off have faith and look at this app as a support. Every day more and more of us celebrate new milestones. It can be done.

Best wishes to all here for a happy and sober 2018! We are in it to win it.

55 Likes

Congratulations! I’m glad you found your stop from the run away locomotive. I am sorry for your loss this is a terrible thing to fight and watch others suffer through. But it’s so great to see you hit that first year. Keep at it.

2 Likes

Congrats! One year is amazing and I hope that I will one day have that too! I’m on day 41 today and stories like yours will remind me to remain strong, have faith, and to stay off of the train of doom and wreckage! Thank you… and I hope you get to do something great today for yourself!

4 Likes

Congratulations and thank you for sharing your story, it’s what I really needed to hear today! I wish you a happy and sober 2018!

2 Likes

This post is amazing! You inspire me! I share your bittersweet sentiment and am grateful as without pain I would never know the true glory of my accomplishments!

3 Likes

Thank you for your story. It really spoke to me. Congratulations on your first and i clink fizzy water to many more sober years for you and for all of us.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing you have done amazing and no doubt your sister will be proud xx

2 Likes

Thank you for that post. Congratulations on what you’ve accomplished.

1 Like

Congratulations! Your sister is proud of you!

1 Like

Congratulations. You have an amazing story.

1 Like

Thanks to everyone for your kind comments and likes. I am uploading my screenshot to remind myself that a year ago I would have passed out to sleep for the last time. Never again. Have a wonderful, safe and fun New Years Eve. I know I will.

9 Likes

Sorry I missed your post due to the busy holidays.

Sorry to hear of your loss and sorry for your sister that she did not make it. I know what it’s like to see a family member trapped like that.

I am glad that you used it as motivation to get yourself on track. Congratulations and let’s stay there!

2 Likes

Congratulations #AboutTime. I am on day 1 of a promise to not drink alcohol for a year. I really appreciate your story, as it can happen to anyone at anytime. I have given up for short bursts before, but really want to commit to a full year for both health and happiness. This app is truly the best for those starting on this road and for helping those to maintain sobriety. Thank you to all you honest people out there willing to share your stories. :+1:

1 Like

Love love love this! You deserve to treat yourself to something nice! Fabulous work!

1 Like

Congratulations on your one year!!! Can’t wait for that milestone for me.

1 Like

Congratulations!

1 Like

Im with you on this one. I keep trying and Im on day one AGAIN. Just started reading these posts. It helps and makes me greatful to see others flurishing. Congrads.

2 Likes

Congrats on your sobriety and also, thank you for your post. You shared perfectly how I feel about controling my own drinking problem and the fear I have inside that I can’t put to words exactly.

Thank you :heart:

1 Like

Your post really hit home with me. We are not invincible…

2 Likes

I found this inspirational to keeping me of the train. I’m so sorry for your Los xx

1 Like