Book recommendations in early sobriety

What book has impacted/helped you the most in the early stages of sobriety?

I am looking for a real motivator with brutal honesty. Something that will truly change my life. When searching the internet I am bombarded with hundreds of self-help books and feel overwhelmed. I don’t want to buy 20 books looking for the most impact. Does that even make sense? :sweat_smile:

What has been the most life-changing read for you?

5 Likes

I have seen loads of book posted about on here. I am sure you will get a lot of replies.

I can only speak for my experience here. And There is one book that changed my life. One book that helped me get sober. And one book that has kept me sober.
That is The Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous.
So far, it is all I have needed :wink:

6 Likes

I agree with Gabe.
I’m not religious, and I don’t go regularly to meetings and I haven’t actively worked the steps described within, but it is the only book I’ve read all the way through. I’ve tried others, but never really took to them.

5 Likes

Big Book for me too! Especially Chapter three. I wonder how they knew my story way before I was born.

4 Likes

The Read Road to Wellbriety is one for me. I am native American and it is written by native people. But i know a lot of non natives that follow these steps and book as well

4 Likes

I have read a ton of sobriety memoirs and I got a lot from them.

One book I read early on in my journey that really stood out for me was This Naked Mind…it really got me thinking.

3 Likes

I recommend this one. Helps understand the stages of changes in behavior. My therapist recommended it to me.

2 Likes

The book ‘Alcohol lied to Me’ changed how I view alcohol on a fundamental level.

1 Like

Big book for me it was the only one about when i got sober im glad. have read some of these would be authors not my cup of tea , keep on trucking

2 Likes

The big book of alcoholics anonymous. My copy is getting a little worn out but I still read it to this day.

2 Likes

I actually bought this about 2 years ago when I first realized I may have an alcohol problem. But it has since just been sitting on my bookshelf.

I think I’m intimated by its size :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Thank you! I’ll definitely check it out.

1 Like

Looks right up my alley :grin:
Thank you!

Looks like it’s time for me to dust it off and give it a go :wink:

It’s been sitting on my shelf for about 2 years. I think I’ve been intimidated by it… Or thought I could do it in my own, which I now know I can’t.

This community has been amazing.
15 days today :grin:

2 Likes

Thank you! I’ll check it out.

1 Like

Ha. It is a BIG BOOK!
But the letters are real big. And Suprisingly, the program itself is only 164 pages. The first 164 pages have not changed since the 40s. The rest of the book is personal stories of members and their experiences over the years.

Most important thing is to just start reading. YOU are in that book! Just start with The Doctors Opinion and Bills Story. They are fast reads and very informing. Then it’s on to Chapter 3 and that’s where it’s at. That is where I read about myself and my problem.

Just pick it up and open it pal!

Best wishes :wink:

3 Likes