Broken and struggling

I’ve been struggling with alcohol addiction for so long…Day 1 sober (again) hoping this time it’s different. I feel so completely broken and alone. I’m going to lose everything if I don’t stop. Glad I found this place today…it will be nice to have a support network and not feel so alone. Reading everyone’s stories is motivating.

17 Likes

Any thoughts yet on what you might do differently? Welcome and glad you found this forum. :two_hearts:

4 Likes

Hey, welcome.

Like you, I struggled with alcohol for a long time and was absolutely miserable. Lots of attempts at sobriety, and some lengthy stretches of time sober, but nothing really sticking. Each attempt was getting longer, which is a good sign of effort and better planning, but I needed something more. After my last slip back in June, I joined this forum. Along with other changes I have made in my life, this forum has been a great support to me.

The important thing is to look at your habits, thought processes…patterns. What can you do to be ready the next time your addiction comes beckoning? Think about it. Think about how you can approach things differently this time and be prepared.

Hope to see you around, keep checking in. You can do this!

3 Likes

AA might be something to look into. Meetings have helped me stay sober for 341 days.

5 Likes

This forum was very helpful for me as it gave me a sense that I am not alone in my fight woth addiction and there is a lot of great insight on here that helped me understand what after effects I might encounter down the road to recovery. I would also recommend trying an aa meeting. I went to my first last week and everyone made me welcome and they had some uplifting stories. I am going to another meeting tonight.

5 Likes

Welcome. I am glad you are here.

“Hope” is not a strategy. You will need a sobriety strategy. Fortunately, there are lots of folks here who can help you develop yours. I encourage you to read lots of threads, and ask lots of questions, for doing so will lead to knowledge, knowledge to learning, learning to action.

10 Likes

If you struggling i suggest you try a meeting plenty of networking guys there who have been were you have and understand how you feel then you wont be alone ,if you want to stop then its a good place to start wish you well

5 Likes

i relapsed as well this weekend. dont be so hard on yourself. pick yourself up and keep going. you got tons of support on here. sending positive vibes!:slight_smile:

4 Likes

I am in my 3 day sober after thousands of relapses. From brokenness Hope must born. Here I found tons of good people with wise words, support, insights and sense of humor. Please stay connected

5 Likes

Thanks for the replies everyone. It’s just been a constant cycle of relapsing…I have to change my whole life around and it’s so difficult. I have to leave some meaningful relationships…I tend to get lonely and fall back. I have a counsellor and an outreach worker now…they’re always so busy though…resources are so scarce here. This site is really great for when you need support NOW and can’t wait until an appt that’s in two weeks. I tried AA and didn’t really work for me. My outreach worker is looking into other group supports in my area for me. I’m going to start going to the gym more…read…write…self care…keep myself busy. Working on a plan tonight…make a schedule. Thanks for listening and for the advice.

7 Likes

You’ve got this! We all came here for the same reason. There is something to be said about having a sense of support and community through these forums. It really does help. Just know you’re not alone in your battle. There can be a lot of negativity out in the real world about trying to get sober, but you will find a lot of support for your sobriety here through others going through the same thing who can actually relate to the want and need to be sober.

2 Likes

Hi @Jax1 I also relapsed this weekend and it was a very bad one. It does feel very lonely. This is day 2 for me. I went to 3 meetings yesterday because I was off. Tonight I will go to one. This is what I will be doing differently. I haven’t been really fond of AA but I’m desperate.

9 Likes

Desperation was my biggest gift. It was either do whatever I had to do to get sober or stop existing. From desperation comes willingness. From willingness comes change.

5 Likes

Sometimes somethings work for some people and it doesn’t always work for others. I had bad experiences with AA, just saying.
I did go to a recovery assistance support group I really enjoyed though and will start going to that again.

1 Like

I once came across a saying that went something like “wish in one hand, spit in the other… both are worth the same value”. I always think of it when I read posts about wishing or hoping for sobriety… I found this gem, and it sums up pretty nicely all of my thoughts around those words.

I will go to sleep tonight thinking about how my own hopes and wishes could be turned into actions :v:

1 Like

Welcome here!
It helps me to come here every day and to check in sober. There is enough to read here and there is always someone to talk to. So come here when you need it.

2 Likes

Sorry AA didnt work for you , hopefully your other recovery plans work for you ,keep us up dated wish you well

Well said.