“California/Cali” Sober

So, “Cali” Sober means you’re a sober stoner, in so many words, or whatever, you smoke weed but don’t drink, k…
This “term” is new to me.
I didn’t know it was a thing.
Any experience with this? Pros? Not your opinion, but actual experience with this? Curious as to the pros and positive effects from your experience.

1 Like

There is no pros to this.sober means sober u don’t do anything
Whoever came up with this is a goofball. If you don’t drink but smoke pot u just switched addiction, if your a addict you’ll likely abuse any drug

7 Likes

Green and sober is another term I hear used to describe this in Oregon.

I think cannabis use is a personal choice. For many it goes hand in hand with other intoxicants. Others, not so much.

3 Likes

As a sober person in California (including from pot), I’m not a fan of the phrase.

I’d also remind everyone of the guideline on not encouraging the use of substances on this sobriety forum. What we choose is our business, but others may be here to stop.

15 Likes

Good answer. Thank you.

4 Likes

I think the term is silly. When I first went into the program I came in because of my problem with alcohol . I was sober from everything for over a year and a half and then i started to use thc honeys and edibles and also smoke green here and there. I have 28 months of sobriety and I don’t get blazed or anything but I take a little bit of thc or a half a gummy a couple times a week. Now do I actually share that with people of AA? Absolutely not because the point of AA is for people that have a desire to stop drinking. Marijuana does not make me want to drink nor make me want to do any other reckless behaviors that I would do when I was drinking. I think it’s to each their own and it’s definitely not a black and white area for me. But I am uncomfortable at times sharing that with others because of judgement

10 Likes

It was that simple? Sounds like you could put AA out of business.

1 Like

I never heard it before Talking Sober and I live in the state.

@Jim27 I believe it’s through AA that Tomi is able to achieve this. But I don’t want to speak for him.

7 Likes

I mean, yes and no. Theoretically you’re right. And it depends on if not being sober has a negative connotation. I wouldn’t exactly label marijuana smokers who are cancer patients drug addicts.

I can’t remember who, but there was a celebrity who recently did an interview and claimed she was “Cali sober”. Then I did a little research and found out what that included. No, that is not “sober” in the slightest way possible. Nor is it clean.
I live in NorCal, grew up around cannabis and psilocybins and if I thought that my use was in some way considered “sobriety” I’d be a mad man locked in a padded room right now yelling “y’all are crazy! I’m the sober one here. LET ME OUT!”

This topic put a little bitter taste in my mouth. I’m gonna sign off and go do some step work.

4 Likes

My DOC has been marijuana from age 13 till my late forties. There was a host of other types of dope I used too but smoking joints has been no. 1 until alcohol took over when I was in my 40’s. I came to the conclusion myself that I’m an addict and I want to live sober and clean and that’s what I have done since June 8 2019. I’m not in treatment or a program for addiction. Everybody has it’s own choices to make as it’s a free world. But using the stuff and calling your self sober is totally batshit crazy. IMO.

5 Likes

Demi Lovato.
I saw that too.

5 Likes

This seems particularly appropriate here…

1 Like

See I feel that recreational drug use is the same as anything else, you are chasing an desired effect.

Someone mentioned cancer patients using it, ok if a physican prescribes a drug knowing the facts, they believe that the benefit outweighs the side effects or addiction factor,

Similar to those on MAT I heard people say that’s not sober, Dr prescribed and used as directed is sober, The end

5 Likes

She drinks " occasionally" too she said. Its just not the hard stuff :roll_eyes:… Why the media makes it like shes some example is pure shyt.

4 Likes

Been in California my whole life, never heard of that term.

4 Likes

Same here.

You’re clean and sober or you’re not. You either live in the solution or you live in the problem. :heart:

7 Likes

The original post was honest reaching out, but we’ve gotten away from that. And mentioned earlier, a reminder for guideline 5.