Can't believe how down I feel after two days sober

Hi. This is my first post. I decided to stop drinking two days ago. I’ve tried before. I was drinking every night for quite a few years. I had breaks of a month or so, then gradually started again. My drinking usually starts at 7pm with my husband when our son goes to bed. I also started having more of an afternoon at the weekend. I have felt really low since the initial happiness I felt at taking control back. I have mild depression and take antidepressants which is manageable. But have felt really low since not drinking. I expected to feel happier at not having a hangover and feeling that dread every morning. But I just feel so overwhelmed by sadness and tearful. Is this a normal reaction to giving up?

2 Likes

@Sparkle. Yes it’s very common. It can be a roller coaster of emotions for a bit it will stabilize. You have to remember you were drinking for a reason right? Give yourself some time. It does pass

4 Likes

Absolutely …or at least that is exactly how I felt and quite honestly still have my moments . Today I am 30 days sober! The first week was extremely difficult for me . Like you , when I decided I’m going to stop drinking I pumped myself up… mind you I still had two full days left that I was allowing myself to drink, crazy when I think about it. The first day I was just consumed by the fact that when evening approaches and my kids are sleeping and it’s “ME” time …I won’t have the company of my beer. I felt so pathetic that I was seriously , genuinely , upset about this…not bummed out but genuine sadness and grief. My boyfriend with two years sobriety comforted me telling me that it’s normal. It’s like a break up , but I can tell you it will get easier …take one day at a time and allow yourself to be sad.
He was right…the sadness did lessen . I felt like I had some real genuine experiences where I laughed like a real laugh …it’s overwhelming.
I can tell you you are not alone , hang in there because you can do this

5 Likes

I think I’m also scared that I was drinking for a reason and when I know what that reason is I’ll be even more depressed and overwhelmed by having to deal with the stuff in my head. Thank you for the replies, it helps to hear it will get better. I have shocked myself at how much I must have relied on alcohol, to feel this upset at not having it.

3 Likes

Well I for one knew most of what I was trying to numb but I did have some things that I didn’t think were an issue until I started to really do the work. I won’t tell you AA and the likes are the end all be all but for me I find that the 12 steps gave me my life back be it one day at a time. Other programs are SMART and Women of Sobriety(I think I have this one correct). All have online presence and the first two I know have actual in person meetings. In a rural area I’m in AA is about my only option but it works for me. Good luck

1 Like

Thanks. I’m feeling more positive today. What a rollercoaster ride of unexpected emotions this is! Just shows how much alcohol suppresses feelings.

1 Like

What you feel is entirely normal-i had many ups and downs at the beginning but it gets better promise !!

2 Likes

Congratulations on making the decision to stop. It’s great that you have a support system that truly understands what you’re going through right at home.

Get involved in the posts here, look up some programs that align with your values and start getting educated on the subject. Finding a therapist may be a good idea too. The issues and emotions will come to the surface and will tempt you to drink. It’s so much easier to work through those cravings with a strong foundation of knowledge than to just use will power alone.

This is an amazing group of people with lots of love and wisdom to share, and they’re always here to answer questions or positive messages when things get hard.

3 Likes