Career alcoholic

Here I am 10 days sober and feeling as lonely as ever. I have a supportive family and a sweet daughter but today was my first test of patience. My girlfriend and I were fighting almost daily whether it be her drinking OR mine. We have been closer than ever the last 10 days but every good thing must come to an end. I’m struggling with my identity as I was known to be drunk or at very least stoned out of my mind which Dulled the way it effected me. Dealing with things head on and sober is a lot more tough then I remember and have really just been trying to focus on work and keeping my mind occupied. One day at a time they say but each day feels like a year. I drank to get out of my head and now I’m a prisoner of my own wrong doings. Court dates, lawyer, breathalyzers, meetings I can do but it’s when It comes to my temper I’m learning everyday about myself. See you tmrw

11 Likes

Congrats on ten days :clap: This place has been a big help in keeping me sober and making me feel not alone, I hope you find the same. My drinking lead to many, many fights with my spouse. Go easy on yourself, you are learning a new you… soon a happier, healthier you, if you stay sober. My relationship dramatically improved once I got some sobriety but we definitely do still have a good fight here and there. Welcome and I wish you the best :yellow_heart:

6 Likes

Thank you flower!

1 Like

Congratulations on your 10 days sober and welcome to our great club.
When I first stopped drinking I was apologizing profusely to my wife. And I was so fucking angry all the time. I did a lot of angry power walks with my angry hip hop rap music. And I took 2 really long hot showers a day. And I spent a lot of time on here reading. Meetings are always a great idea too.
I hope to see you around.
:pray:t2::heart:

2 Likes

Nailed it brother. Did my walk today and took my long shower :muscle:. Crazy how you read my mind. Thank you

2 Likes

Gratitude is my strongest tool. It’s a great thread with a bunch of great people. I know I got so much more to be grateful for when I’m sober. Check it out if you’re interested. It’s the only way I start my day.

2 Likes

I use to do the same self medicate to take the edge off,get my mind right, deal with the frustration, stress an anxiety in my life but the alcohol and drugs only put me deeper into a sand pit where i had no way out. Legal problems came fruquent one night jail stays every other town i went, hospital visits, Hallucinations, bad DTs, through the wringer several times over. I couldnt quit even when i wanted or needed too i was so dependent on the drugs or alcohol, lost jobs, family, friends, my mind, but that didnt matter i didnt care i was too far gone. I welcomed death because anything was better then what i was living, a nightmare, straight hell. I swore after giving up the harder drugs id never let myself go back down that road again yet there i was, a miserable excuse of a man stuck in my self pity i could not go on like that. Retained another lawyer for the charges i was facing, wasnt going to be a slap on the wrist, hard time was facing at lease 5-8yrs min. She told me go to AA ill take your case maybe turn your life around, keep your nose clean we’ll do what we can to keep you out of the joint. So over a year and a half now been trying to get back to being a constructive member of society. Its possible to make it out from the grips of addiction, there is a solution just takes some work getting there. 25 years of substance abuse really got me no where but closer to God, greatful to be making it this far along in my recovery, its a good time to start with planning your way out. They always told me i could keep on digging and thats exactly what i did, glad that your here joining us now. Sorry for the long post i dont usually ramble on too long.

1 Like

I’m grateful to be here because without knowing me our stories are a lot the same. THANK YOU for the long post. I needed it brother.

1 Like

We have the choice to make it a tragic ending or a triumphant new beginning. Its good to know that we dont have to be alone in the suffering that comes with addiction. You have a great day brother take it easy and be kind to yourself.:pray::sunrise_over_mountains: