Careful: There's a very bad copy of Sober Time going around

This also reminds me I’ve never thought to leave a glowing review for Sober Time. What better time than now!

Wait… Which one is it again?

Here’s the REAL version’s link to the Google Play Store:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sociosoft.sobertime

You can also get to it by tapping the ‘Rate’ button in Sober Time’s main menu.

1 Like

Ha, I was kidding with the last part. :wink: Still, probably best we establish who the REAL Sober Time is anyway!

Just to be safe :joy:

1 Like

I asked my husband, who is a software engineer in the US. He says even here copyrighting isn’t easy or particularly effective, because the other developers could change a small piece of functionality and get around it. You could pursue it in the courts but he’s not sure how that works with each party being in a different country.

It’s crappy, but he says the best way you defend your code is just to make sure that yours is better so people pick yours over the others. Im sure you already know all of this but I wanted to report on my dead end :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I’m in the UK, I’m sure you can copyright in more than one country I’ll see what I can find out and pm you

1 Like

That’s been my motto since releasing Sober Time back in 2014. I just try and make it the best possible app for the people who use it.

Unfortunately, people don’t always pick the best app. They pick the app that they see, and these copied versions will appear under the search results next to the real Sober Time.

2 Likes

You need to hire some hackers lol

Yepp, that would be my concern as well. I hate that you have to worry about that stuff especially with such a well intentioned app.

1 Like

Reading up about it now. It seems pretty cheap and easy to do, and the copyright will at least let me get rid of fake apps easier in the future. Might just register it in the US.

2 Likes

Done and done. Thanks @Robin

It’s definitely worth doing to protect the hard work you put in and the community

1 Like

Flagged first but the second said wasn’t found