CBD oil to help recover from addiction?

Hi everyone! So as some may have noticed, I haven’t been on in quite some time. I haven’t been doing too well recovery wise which is a big reason why I haven’t been on. Work has been busy and I’ve had tons of appointments as well… no excuse to not be here tho. I hope this is okay to post here. I realize this topic can be controversial.
So… I have struggled with drugs for 21 years. I am exhausted and tired of fighting for sobriety and not really getting a good grasp on it. I have been looking into a number of things to help me bcuz realistically I need help.
I have tried treatment NUMEROUS times as a youth and an adult, 12 step meetings, online meetings, group and individual counselling etc. I will still incorporate meetings into my routine, but im seriously considering CBD oil. Any thoughts???
I dont want a “high” effect but I desperately need something to help with my stress, anxiety, depression, just over all mental health. I have Borderline personality disorder and PTSD. I truly don’t think that I can ever be completely clean and sober. I dont think its in my nature :upside_down_face: CBD oil and all that stuff is legal where I am. I dont want to smoke Marijuana just maybe use CBD oil occasionally to help. My mental health plays a huge role in my relapses, so im reaching out for other things that may help.
I do realize that my PTSD and past trauma plays a role in my relapses. I have dealt with some issues thru counselling (domestic violence) but not others (rape, sex trade work violence etc). I need to work on those areas but in the meantime also I need something to help me stay sober.
What is everyone’s thoughts on CBD oil? Does it help with addiction?
Thanks for reading!

3 Likes

I don’t really have an answer about the oil, for what I know it’s not legal in my country. But I’m very familiar with the feeling you’re describing. I’m having some past trauma, and a past drug addiction. And a lot of times I’ve had the feeling that I need something to get me through, something to stay sober. I can’t even count the times that lead to relapse. Last time it was a substance similar to my doc that’s on the legal side here. Unfortunately I got hooked on that two, with similar effects and downsides. And another addiction to battle. My best advice would be to talk to a psychologist if you think it’s your mental health that’s getting in the way of managing to stay sober on your own. I did eventually, I haven’t got a prescription yet though, they did offer me some to get help sleeping but I’m a little afraid to take it. If they think they can give you a prescription for something to help you’ll get the “substance” you need but it’s in a controlled way and a smaller risk of getting addicted to something else. But once again we don’t live in the same country so I’m not sure how it works where you live. And it’s my personal opinion only. I wish you the best of luck with staying on the right track. I’ve read a lot of your past posts and I know you are a strong lady. You can do this.

2 Likes

I am sorry to hear you haven’t been doing well, sweetie. hugs

Listen, i have tried CBD oil to treat both anxiety and pain, and it doesn’t work for me at all. However, some friends of mine cant advocate for it enough! They say it works wonders for them. And since it is non-addictive… Well, i guess it could be worth a shot, right?

So you have BPD and PTSD too huh? Man. I’m sorry. The symptoms of my BPD are well under control now, but i have scars up and down my arms, multiple suicide attempts… Just know that you arent alone in with that disorder. If you ever wanna talk to someone who understands it, I’m here for ya :purple_heart:

2 Likes

I tried CBD oil. Definitely helped some anxiety. But I didn’t use it during recovery so I cannot comment on that part.

2 Likes

Harsh reality. The mind is a powerful thing and your absolutely right… if I don’t think I can be then I won’t :frowning: BUT u make a good point… maybe I need to look at my mind set. Im glad u brought that up :slight_smile:

4 Likes

A thread about it:

I have a family member who used CBD oil for anxiety, they seem to like it. It can be expensive though. I’d recommend going to a specific store that specializes in CBD and asking what they suggest. Good luck