CBT for Alcohol Addiction

Hi all,

I have just recently started a CBT based rehab program for alcohol. I was just wondering if anyone had any experiences they’d like to share about anything similar? I have my first group session tomorrow and I’m nervous and excited!

Thank you :blush:

2 Likes

CBT works by changing people’s attitudes and their behavior by focusing on the thoughts, images, beliefs and attitudes that are held (a person’s cognitive processes) and how these processes relate to the way a person behaves, as a way of dealing with emotional problems.

1 Like

I think it works great along with AA. I don’t believe it’s the solution but most certainly helpful. The most recognized CBT meeting is Smart Recovery. I hope you get a lot of out it.

1 Like

This program has meetings and 1:1 sessions built into it for the first 12 weeks I believe. I’ll look into SMART as well, thanks. I’m guessing most stuff is online now? We aren’t allowed social gatherings of more than 6 ppl.

1 Like

I done cbt a few times I have found if you want it to work go in with a open mind and take on suggestions then it will do you wonders. Xbut if you go in with a closed attitude and are not willing to put in the work then it isn’t gona help that much its definitely a of the mind threarpy.

1 Like

You just have to look around but mostly online. I am able to attend in person AA meetings here in Massachusetts and we are considered a red state. Our counties are getting pretty hard again with Covid but we wear masks in the meetings. I think that’s great there are meeting allowed. I’ll be happy to help you anyway Alli.

Despite what people say, CBT is arguably the most beneficial thing a person can do to stay sober if they have addiction issues in any facet of life. There are many treatment options when it comes to addiction - CBT is one of the only ones at your disposal that is evidence/science based. Good luck.