Change your thoughts, change your life

Learning to change my way of thinking is the ONE great tool for my own recovery and I was looking for something to help me refocus on that subject and I found this book …and it even has a full audio version!!!

I am going to re listen and read along with this audiobook starting today…the way it was meant to be, slow and steady, one day, one verse at a time.
It will take 81 days, bringing me smoothly into my third year of my new forever :hugs:

Join me if you like, never “too much of a good thing” when it comes to recovery and learning.

14 Likes

First verse
The Tao that can be told is not the eternal Tao, the name that can be named is not the eternal name, the Tao is both named and nameless. As nameless it is the origin of all things, as named it is the mother of 10,000 things, ever desireless one can see the mystery, ever desiring one sees only the manifestations. The mystery itself is the doorway to all understanding.

Live in the Tao today: Enjoy the mystery, allow the world to unfold as it will, simply allow. Do not try to understand or control, allow it to be as it is. Become an observer, judge less and listen more. Practice not labeling and naming everything.
Today when I notice I am getting annoyed I will turn inward with curiosity to see if I am living in allowing or desiring. This should be fun :laughing::smile:

13 Likes

I LOVE this, thanks for sharing and doing this! :heart:

1 Like

Good…please join me…help keep me accountable, especially not to jump forward lol :laughing:
I already listened to the whole thing and read to the 21st verse the last 4 days now to REALLY hear what it is saying and apply it daily😄

1 Like

I would LOVE to! I can’t jump ahead because I’m relying on you for the material now! Lol! :grin:

1 Like

I’m going to be with you.

2 Likes

Yesterday with each small annoyance of daily life I noticed myself asking me if I was allowing or desiring things to be different. Most of the time when annoyed I was most definitely desiring things to be different but pausing and asking myself this question made it much more simple to just alllow.

6 Likes

Second verse
Under heaven all conceived beauty is beauty only because there is ugliness. All can know good as good only because there is evil. Being and non being produce each other, the difficult is born in the easy, long is defined by short, the high by the low, before and after go along with each other.
So the sage lives openly with apparent duality and paradoxical unity, the sage can act without effort and teach without words, nurturing things without possessing them, he works but not for rewards, he competes but not for results, when the work is done it is forgotten and that is why it lasts forever.

Live in the Tao today:
Notice an opportunity to defend or explain yourself and choose not to. Instead turn within and sense the texture of misunderstanding and feel it all in the way through your physical system.
Just be with what is instead of opting to ease it by traversing this outer world path of defending and explaining, don’t get caught up in the apparent duality of being right or wrong.
Congratulate yourself for making a choice to be in a paradoxical unity of oneness were all of the spectrum simply is. Silently appreciate the opportunity alone with your willingness to practice your sageness

11 Likes

Not defending my thoughts and what I say/write to others turned out to be more difficult than I had imagined. I am not around many through the day, nor do I tend to THINK I care what those few think of me…but then why all the need for explaining?! :laughing::woman_shrugging:
I found myself explaining the tiniest of things…or beginning to anyway lol then I just deleted what I was going to say or when in person just said “oh nevermimd, forgot what i was going to say” :laughing:

No need to explain myself…what a odd concept I had no idea I needed a little work on. Good to address it too because I am now very curious why I have a need to explain when I FEEL like I could care less if others are judging me, is it just a mindless habit maybe?

4 Likes

Third verse
Putting a value on status will create contentiousness. If you overvalue possessions people begin to steal. By not displaying what is desirable you will cause the people’s hearts to remain undisturbed.
The sage governs by emptying minds and hearts, by weakening ambitions and strengthening bones. Practice not doing, when action is pure and selfless everything settles into its own perfect place.

Live in the Tao today
Watch for an opportunity today to notice that you’re planning on buying something, choose to do the Tao and listen for guidance. Be grateful that you have the Choice to make the purchase, then practice listening to yourself and not doing. Through your feelings the Tao will reveal the way for you in that moment. Trust it. You might be guided to buy the item and savor it with gratitude, or donate it, or procure one for you and one for someone else, or even to give the money to charity instead of getting the item, or reframe from obtaining the item altogether.
Practice doing the Tao in everyday situations and you will know contentment in a deeper sense.

4 Likes

I like this. I do this all the time, helps keep things in perspective. The more I do me, and the less I try to do others/control/manipulate the easier life gets.

4 Likes

So much more simple to just focus on ourselves :hugs:

3 Likes

I am pretty solid on this one…I am often told I am “too frugal or cheap” :crazy_face:
Did not have a want or need to spend anything yesterday.
Since I started working at 12 my earnings go into savings and so I can tend to NOT get stressed when purchasing something etc. but still just tend not to. I do not need much.
My bf is a spender and will get frustrated with me sometimes…I purchased a kayak this week online and will NOT tell him what I spent…he will say it was too cheap :laughing: and it was but it will do the job of getting us out on the water to have some extra fun this summer and if we really like it we can get something more solid next year.

3 Likes

Fourth verse
The Tao is empty but inexhaustible, bottomless, the ancestor of it all.
Within it the sharp edges become smoothed, the twisted knots loosen, the Sun is softened by a cloud, the dust settles into place. It is hidden but always present. I do not know who gave birth to it, it seems to be the common ancestor of all, the father of all things.

Do the Tao today
Pick a situation today and instead of verbally responding be silent and listen to your thoughts.
For example, in a social gathering or business meeting choose to seek the emptiness found in silence in order to be aware of your infinite self.
Invite it to let you know when or whether to respond. If you find your worldly ego interpreting or judging then just observe without criticizing or changing it.
You’ll begin to find more and more situations when it feels peaceful and joyful to be without response, just to be in the infinity that’s hidden but always present.

4 Likes

So much healthier and more productive.

If I view myself as a tree, I know that the stronger my roots are, the taller I will stand, the denser my limbs and leaves will be and the more shade I can cast to protect those closest to me from the heat

3 Likes

Really enjoyed this verse and what it had to offer, silence :hugs: I am a true loner at heart and know deep within that silence and not always talking talking talking is best for me, but still I found instances where I would have spoke, these last 2 days, purely for the act of speaking, not anything important to say, just blah blah blah.
Good to be more mindful in and of those moments and experience more blissful SILENCE :smile:

3 Likes

Fifth verse
Heaven and Earth are impartial, they see the 10,000 things as straw dogs. The sage is not sentinel, he treats all his people as straw dogs. Like heaven and Earth, to him none are especially dear nor is there anyone he disfavors. He gives and gives without conditions, offering his treasures to everyone. Between heaven and Earth is a space like a bellows, empty and inexhaustible, the more it is used the more it produces.
Hold on to the center, Man was made to sit quietly and find the truth

Do the Tao today
As many times as possible today decide to approach interactions or situations involving other people with a completely fair mindset, which you allow and trust to guide your response. Do this as often as you can, an entire day with individuals, groups, friends, family members or strangers.
Create a short sentence that you silently repeat to continuously remind yourself that you are approaching the situation with an unbiased attitude, such as “guide me right now Tao, guide me now” Keeping this sentence on a loop in your mind will prevent judgment from habitually surfacing and even more appealing is the feeling of relaxation, an openness to whatever wants to happen in those moments of impartiality.

3 Likes

Through mindfullness meditation this practice has become easy for me, tho people CAN still frustrate me :wink: I am much more aware of why and how and that in the end we are all doing our best and to have compassion for those who seem off thier path of purity.
It’s not set in stone and is still work from time to time but in general I am very happy with my non judgment of myself and others.

2 Likes

Sixth verse
The spirit that never dies is called the mysterious feminine. Although she becomes the whole universe her immaculate purity is never lost. Although she assumes countless forms her true identity remains intact. The gateway to the mysterious female is called the root of creation, listen to her voice, hear it echo through creation. Without fail she reveals her presence, without fail she brings us to our own perfection. Although it is invisible, it endures, it will never end.

Do the Tao today
Today notice babies and small children. Look for the mysterious feminine nature in little boys and girls who haven’t yet become so attuned to cultural and societal demands that thier true selves are hidden. Can you see some whose inherent nature is intact? Notice what seems to be their natural character or their gift from the Tao.
Then try to recall yourself as a child, when the natural Tao given self was unaware of the ego self. The time before you believed that acquisitions or power were more important. Who were you? Who are you now?

3 Likes

Just found this. Looks great. Thanks for sharing it. I’ll join in.

1 Like