Checking in yall

Hey, I just figured I would post. I’ve been way off the wagon, last night I wound up getting drunk and I did a few taper off beers today.

I’ve shared before, I work 2 weeks at a time on a tug boat and I dont drink at all for 2 weeks. Today i go back to work and I’ve had the shakes, dry mouth, and dull eyes.

It seems that every time I have to go back to work I make the same post…sigh…I suppose on the bright side I had some wonderful adventures and I’ll always love a beer at a bar, but the shakes and the withdrawls are clear signs I have an issue.

Just wanted to share.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing! Drink tons of water, take some vitamins and pray! You can do this! Go on the tugboat and pray everyday that you can stay sober when you get off the boat! I have friends who work offshore and I know its super hard to be away and all you want to do when you get home is ‘relax’. Well with us drinks we need to find NEW ways of ‘relaxing’! Keep coming back!

3 Likes

Thanks, that response really helped!

When the negative consequences outweigh all those wonderful times drinking then you will be ready to stop drinking. Honestly, getting those two weeks away from the booze should be a hell of a start. You need to carry that momentum over to when you are on shore. If you have some down time try hitting a meeting instead of a bar.

8 Likes

Just got back into work today. I feel and look awful. I cant sit still and I’ve been just trying to find little jobs to keep me occupied. I’m physically I’ll and withdrawing. Thankfully it was only a 2 week bender and hopefully a good nights sleep is all I need.

I need to get this under control for good and I’m feeling ready to make the changes I need to. I do not want to feel this way ever again.

1 Like

I got drunk couple of days ago and I still can’t fully recover physically. Before when I didn’t even consider drinking was a problem It never bothered me, cuz I would get drunk day after and so on and on but now it’s like the world falling apart man…
Hope you succeed wish you all the best

1 Like

Thanks man, you too.

I know exactly what you’re talking about. Sounds like you’re talking about me lol.

Its rough dude. Weve been here before and in a few days the light will open up. Water, a sweat, and some quality sleep should help, but its so hard to even eat when you feel this way. Its amazingly terrible.

1 Like

Thanks to everyone who took the time. I know these arent the most popular posts on here, but it helps to have this platform to share with fellows who understand the struggle.

Every response helps.

1 Like

How you doing man? Keep me posted.

1 Like

I’m glad you are back at work for a couple of weeks. Something that helped me when I was in the hospital and scared about going home was to decide what I wanted to do with my time once it was my own again. I had so many plans that it was hard to chose what I actually spent my time on. I also vilified drinking completely. I’m not the type of recovering addict that thinks no one should drink, but I damn well know I have zero business drinking. It’s basically putting a gun to my head. No thanks!

Keep your head up man!

1 Like

Honestly man… I m good, kinda good. And that sucks somehow.
I was feeling excellent couple of days ago and bam. How do I keep myself from feeling good about me being sober and feeling good and not on my toes, I hope you get what I meant.
I am waiting to call cause they say they answer only before and after meetings sooo… Wanna try that out as I now know there is a opportunity to go.
Thanks man… Hope you’re doing well.

I gotcha dude. This 2 week on 2 week off schedule has been tough. I feel great at the end of two weeks sober and I just finished work so l treat myself with a beer. Next thing you know that treat turned out to be poison I cant handle and it’s two weeks later.

Who are you going to call? Have you been going to meetings?

My stomach has been a mess to say the least, got the shakes and anxiety, just for starters of my symptoms. It always gets better with time, but dang does time grind to a halt.

Try not to agonize on it too much I guess and just stay busy with non drinking activities? Do you go to the gym? That always helps me shake the withdrawls a little faster.

1 Like

I am going to a meeting tomorrow. Gonna rep back how it went…
I do excercise , these couple of days haven’t had the will but I will start again. Yeah this time physically it really did a number on me… Sucked me dry. But it will pass…

In bed now gonna read a bit and hopefully wake up to fight another day :slight_smile:

Thanks for putting your story out there. I remember feeling the same regret and wishing the same things until one day I finnaly found the courage to surrender to AA and since that day 2 months and 22 days ago my life has gotten better exponentially. It is a relief to know I dont have to drink today and I am truly thankful for that. I hope you find the peace you are searching

1 Like

Dude, it’s going to get better, it has to. Get to that meeting like your life depends on it and enjoy it, it’s the best thing you can do tomorrow. I was scared to go to meetings, but I think about some of the things I did and said while drinking and that’s way scarier, yet I had no problem doing them!! The meeting will save your mind, your body will come along. Get to the gym, steam room, or take a long hot shower and get a sweat in. You’ll see an immediate difference.

2 Likes

Now with another day of clarity, I am even more convinced I have to and need to make the permanent change.

2 Likes