Choosing A Career

1Y 1M 17D /

I just turned 35-Years-Old on the 6th. I’m in a far off country right now, performing my duties. I have almost a year to decide what I want to do for the rest of my life. I want to do so many things right now… Right now, I’m doing IT work but that’s really not my specialty. I’m a sort of engineer/mechanic by trade. I want to go to school when I get back but am torn between doing something that I truly Love (Archeology) and something that I’m really good at (Mechanical Engineering). I also want to drive heavy machinery (I have a gift for that) to continue what my father and uncles have been doing. The IT field is making a ton of money as well. On top of all that, I also have a really good and steady job back home with work that’s going to last for years…

I’m torn between what I want to do and it’s leaving me in an unproductive state of mind. I know I’m not getting any younger here. My wife and I are planning to have a child when we get back so I want to do something that will secure all of our future’s.

Some practical input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for hearing me out everyone. I love y’all very much ^.^

At 51, pushing 52, I have been doing what I am good at for about 25 years. 1/2 of my lifetime. It is very unfulfilling AND I make good money. So what? Money helps but there is so much more to life.

Drive the machinery. There is a huge need for that, and study archeology while you’re doing it. Then, go and dig up some ancient bones with heavy machinery (just kidding).

:slight_smile:

3 Likes

Actually you can do both in the begging of an investigation you have some kind of idea on how deep things are layered and you use at least some kind of machine to get through the first layers. And when you get there you’re starting to be more careful with the digging. So you can definitely do both (I never fully did my archeological exam but hopefully I’m going to bw able to do that or paleontology in the future)

2 Likes

Combine both into 1 lol! I’ve made it this far in life through blind luck and happenstance. I’ve always had the knack of getting along with other’s. A sort of natural Charisma that was gifted to me by my father. It was wild and untamed when I was a drunken fool but I’ve been honing this past year. I have a mind to do it all… I have this feeling deep down inside of me that knows I can do it. I just don’t have anyone to talk to about it. It just feels good to put it out there. It really does.

1 Like