Cold turkey stopping

I quit cold turkey on monday morning from around 80 to 100 units a week
I had a few night sweats n anxiety bout it

I have signed up n i have started meetings and building a network

Did anyone else just one day wake up n quit cold turkey

4 Likes

Yea i went cold turkey with Ativan then booze nothing in those days just had to ride the storm wish you well but nowadays maybe better seeing a doc wish you well

3 Likes

I took runs at quitting cold turkey a couple of times. I guess technically my last quit was cold turkey. Enough was finally enough.

It never worked for me on will power alone. When I had the support from here and AA it finally, actually stuck. Just having people to talk through the ups and downs about it made a big difference.

Sounds like you got that though, so good on you!

I did do medical assistance on one quit where the shakes and sweats were pretty bad. It’s possible for withdrawal to be deadly depending on the person and the habits, and that’s a sign. So yeah, talk to a doctor if ya need to.

Keep checking in and let us know how you’re doing!

4 Likes

I saw the doc first day they advised not to stop but cut down… I went back to docs today n they said im day 6 2moro so if i can cope without then carry on
My vitamin levels were good
My gama is good my clotting is good but my billerubine levels were really really high but i had my bloods done 1 day after a heavy 4 day binge so im not surprised with that

This is the first time I’ve reached out and used tools and this group is amazing man

7 Likes

Sounds good you got checked out.

They had prescribed me some anti seizure meds for the one medical quit. Nothing addictive, just to be sure acute withdrawal didn’t take me out. My drinking was heavvvvy at the time.

Probably not something for everyone, but just illustrates how important being honest with the doc can be! They’re there to help.

Hope you find good luck with some local support groups too! Can seem an impossible road to walk alone, but we don’t have to.

1 Like

Definitely!! There’s more shame in carrying on drinking than admitting it and speaking up
This is my road and i will not turn back around

3 Likes

Yep! I quit cold turkey 11 days ago

2 Likes