Coming back after a relapse sucks

Coming back from a relapse after almost 3 years of clean time, it’s frustrating and humbling. It’s also eye opening, starting to work out of the Adult Children of Alcoholics book and it’s pretty life changing, which is a relief cuz I was white knuckling my sober time, think I’m onto something here.

13 Likes

We live and learn my dear we live and learn :pray:

2 Likes

Not coming back after a relapse is an even worse option.
You chose wisely.
Welcome

9 Likes

For me its always a mental agony it seems.

I do a lot if damage when I drink, physically to myself, financially, relationships, professionally. What doesnt suck is having some of that left.

4 Likes

Having the option to come back from a relapse is never a guarantee. Consider it a gift!

5 Likes

Welcome. I’m glad you are here with us, and hope you will stay, share, learn, grow, engage, and connect with the beautiful souls you find here.

Yes, coming back from a relapse sucks, but continued drinking sucks worse.

2.5 years of sobriety is impressive. Why do you think you relapsed?

4 Likes

I would agree that it sucks, but not coming back from a relapse would be much worse. I had 6 years of sobriety, when I chose to drink again. It took me 30 years to get back. . I am glad you’re back.

5 Likes

@Serenityjoy, @Bubonicphoniks, @Harold, one thing I hear from time to time in AA around here is old-timers thanking people returning from relapse for “doing the research for me”. When you come back from a return to drinking /using and tell specifically about the losses you endured, the heartache you found, the utter lie that addiction remains for us, I am grateful. You are warning me to watch my thinking. You are reminding me that I must put my sobriety above all other desires or objectives in my life.

We are recovered, but never cured. My thoughts can still get slippery, no matter how many days I have strung together. If I begin to feel my sobriety is lacking, I am reminded by your examples that I must be vigilant. I must attend to my alcoholism every day. It’s not a huge effort, it’s not an obsession with sobriety. But I must tend the garden, for the weeds are ever present.

Thank you for doing the research for me. I wish you well, many blessings and a speedy recovery.

5 Likes

I got complacent and overly confident, put myself in a situation I wasn’t ready to be in. I wasn’t really working my program much either, never reached out or asked for help

4 Likes

Which book is it you’re reading?

Adult Children of Alcoholics, it’s spot on.

2 Likes

Complacency is a real bugger eh!!! :frowning:

1 Like

Welcome to this awesome community. This app is a great addition to your sober toolbox but make sure you use it. The great part is, there’s people from all over the world so you’ll have the support you need at anytime of the day or night.

2 Likes