Completely unscientific study of relapsing

This is a poll of relapsing. There are 3 answers. We all fit in to one category. I will keep results hidden, even though I am supremely curious, to encourage people to answer. If you want to say what your answer was drop a line. Mine is I’ve relapsed, but not since joining TS.

• No, I have never relapsed.
  • Yes, but not since joining TS.
  • Yes, since joining TS.

0 voters

3 Likes

What do you consider a relapse? Once you decide you are officially done drinking and then you drink again? someone that has made multiple attempts to stop drinking for X amount of time but wasn’t successful?

Since deciding I wanted to be sober, not just take a break unsuccessfully, I have not relapsed. Since I’ve been a member of TS, I have not relapsed.

5 Likes

Mine needs a little explaining too. Technically I have relapsed. Because for the 2 months prior to me quitting I woke up every day saying that I wasn’t going to drink that day. And every day I drank. But once I really quit I never relapsed.:thinking:

3 Likes

Yes, but not since joining TS.

Went through years of cycles in controlled drinking and quitting and failing by myself. Joined AA and stopped after about a month. I think I joined TS after 2 days sober and have been since.

3 Likes

Yes, but not since coming to the forum. I had the app and the counter for a month before Ma died. After the 3rd or 4th reset I just deleted the app.

4 Likes

Same, but for the last 14 years.

Edit: Except for when I was pregnant and BFing.

2 Likes

A relapse occurs, for this completely unofficial poll, if you had some time (even a couple days) where you put your DOC down for the purpose of getting sober, then picked it back up. I count 2 relapses bc I used after my first 2 rehabs

2 Likes

What is your hypothesis?

1 Like

That alcoholics are known to drink

4 Likes

I relapsed after joining TS. Partly because I really didn’t want to quit. But this time is different, I got this! Jk I don’t got this, if I did, I wouldn’t need you fuckers. :rofl:

15 Likes

Ah. My anecdotal experience would support such a conclusion.

4 Likes

I joined late 16 I think after a few weeks sober. Had 54 days and said fuck it after a neighbor handed me a beer. Then went down hill for a few months and then got my shit together…well as together as it’ll get I think.
Didn’t delete the app when I did relapse but didn’t post at all.

2 Likes

I’ll be honest, I relapsed 12 times since joining TS, I’ve been sober since 28th July 2018, why did I relapse so often in the beginning? Because I was full of half arsed excuses and never put the work in, now I work a program with alcohol services and go to SMART and listen to the advice given on here and act on it, I take the tough love and learn from my mistakes, I have changed my lifestyle to live a sober life

11 Likes

Exactly the same for me.

I’d taking bring breaks from drinking and changed my mind or given in. I never decided to be done with alcohol until the morning after the last time I drank. I looked for a way to count days and found this app.

A week or so later I found the forum and that plus This Naked Mind has changed my relationship with alcohol.

I’ve contemplated drinking but have not been tempted to or wanted to drink over the last 238 days.

3 Likes

I didn’t realize our sober dates were so close :hibiscus:@MoCatt is close to our dates as well :heart:

When I decided enough was enough, I had done something while drunk and I was just really really surprised by it-I knew I had to be done.

2 Likes

I’ve relapsed twice since joining. During that time that I relapsed, I was away from the forum. Didnt post much and wasnt involved. Was at 211 days, then relapsed, 20 days or something, another relapse, now working on 15 days or so…

One day at a time…

6 Likes

I haven’t relapsed and certainly don’t intend to. I had thoughts about how I shouldn’t be doing what I was doing, and how I should stop, but this was the first time I made the decision to stop.

7 Likes

I think I first downloaded this app back in 2015, I relapsed many times and would just delete it off my phone. I think the longest I made it before was around 60 days (I’m at 128 now).

7 Likes

I ticked “no”, but that’s really only because I was in such a state of denial for so long. Although I attempted (and failed) many “breaks”, they were at the time only intended to be breaks because committing to sobriety seemed too impossible to even contemplate. So my “no” is more from a place of long term denial and inability/unwillingness to try before this attempt. Also, I’m only on 65 days, so pretty dang early and it’s still all up for grabs.

5 Likes

I’ve been drinking heavily since 1987 and had never really tried to quit permanently. Except for sober January the last several years (always made it), sober Jan through March this year, and once when I trained (for 9 months) and ran a marathon 12 years ago. In those instances, the intention was to always start again. Since finally admitting almost 19 days ago that I am an alcoholic and have been an alcoholic for decades, I quit and have not relapsed. Nor do I intend to. I’m willing to do the requisite work to never drink again.

7 Likes