Craving for alcohol

I’m not sure how I’m supposed to deal with cravings. It’s now the holidays and all my favorite alcohol is out and I work inside of a grocery store. Any advice on how to walk pass all these drinks that I loveed so much And I’m 4 days away from a months sober.

9 Likes

Hi Toya. Remember why you decided to become sober? How was your active alcoholism? Your favourite drinks, did they lead to good decisions, happy memories, proud moment, productive days, great relationships with the people in your life?

I didn’t think so. For me neither.

Play the tape forward, what happens when you drink? What are the consequences? Write those down in all gory and shameful and frightening detail and safe them on your phone or carry around in your purse.
Likewise, write out the hopes you have and the good experiences sobriety has no doubt already given you in your first month. Read this document often as well.
Do you think it might be time to up your game? Alcohol has, by placing all your ex favourite drinks right under your nose at the store. Maybe your efforts need to match your heightened exposure. Give AA a try. Make sober connections and find a community that has your back and understands without judgement. The same goes for this community. Spend more time reading and interacting here. It helps.

Wish you well!

3 Likes

It’s hard I know. One trick that helps is to keep a list on hand - maybe keep it on your phone? - of the reasons you want to be sober. Sassy has a list she keeps; she shared it here (scroll down to the bullet points):

A lifelong drinker hits 1200 days sober

There are good reasons you decided to stay sober. There’s nothing in those bottles except shame and regret - it’s not worth it.

As addicts we romanticize our addiction. We all do it. Getting healthy and reliable means we learn to see booze for what it really is: something that blinds us, numbs us, holds us down. It’s a “quick fix” for our desire to escape. But we have to stop running so that we can really love our lives.

You’re a good person and you deserve a safe, sober life where you can be your full self :innocent:

2 Likes

You can’t polish a turd and it doesn’t matter how shiny and pretty all those bottles are it’s still poison. Congrats on your sober days :+1:

3 Likes

Only think about right now, today. Can’t worry about the holidays coming up because they’re not here yet. Everytime i relapsed was because my ass got caught thinking about shit that wasn’t here yet. Worrying about how i was gonna stay sober forever or make it through a wedding, holiday, football season. Over the past couple years I’ve made it through all that shit by taking it one day at a time. Best wishes to you, keep it simple only worry about the here and now.

4 Likes

Something I repeated to myself over and over…“Cravings will not kill me, alcohol will”.

I worked with alcohol, dealt with my favorites coming out and the parties…

However, I just didnt white knuckle the cravings. I used this place, AA, and a host of other things.

3 Likes

Cravings, for me, are a sign that my subconscious is still assigning value to my DOC.

If I’m able to recognize the truth, that my addiction has no value, I would no longer struggle with craving it. And I would no longer envy those that use it. Instead, I have compassion for and pity them.

Allen Carr’s Easy Way to Control Alcohol and Annie Grace’s book This Naked Mind are both good books that discuss this.

3 Likes

I’ve been reading Allen Carr’s book and am about 3/4 of the way through, will probably finish it today! His philosophy on drinking is so simple and makes sense. Want to check out This Naked Mind next, have listened to some of Annie Grace’s podcasts on Audible and enjoy them.

2 Likes

I’m going to try this…seeing that I walk pass it every night. Thanks

1 Like

I’m 2 weeks sober today. I work in a restaurant that has a bar steps away. Last night was rough, I wanted a drink pretty bad. You have to try and stay strong and keep busy. It’s definitely hard to do! But I kept myself busy and eventually my mind was focused on something else.

1 Like

@Tryliving777 think of all the negative things alcohol has done to your life and relationships your freedom if it ever got you arrested.congratulation on 26 days keep up the good work.or try a rubber band on your wrist and snap it when you have cravings.good luck you got this

1 Like

I think about what alcohol has done to me, all the years ive wasted how further along in life i could be if i had addressed my problems earlier. Jails Institutions and death are what i can expect if i twist off, been to enough jails and hospitals, so doesnt leave much more options for me. I have to stay sober or im back in a cage or a coffin. Alcoholism is progressive it never slowed down when i have started back up in the past, like the flood gates opening always leaving me clinging on for dear life. Take it easy just a day at a time.:pray:

1 Like