Cravinggggs

Having a craving pretty bad tonight. Ugh. But staying away from it.

7 Likes

And you came here instead! You rock!! Keep it up and over time the damn cravings will lessen. They really will.

3 Likes

How are you? What are your doing to help get over it? I’m here for you♥️

1 Like

Best to stay busy if you can, make a smoothie, Listen to music, do some journaling, make a pros and cons list, call a friend or loved one. And keep reaching out on here … You got this!:grinning:

2 Likes

Keep checking in. I go to the checkin thread when I have cravings:

Checking in daily to maintain focus #40

It helps to share about it. I also get a chance to encourage other people there too. It feels good :innocent:

Take care and remember to “play the tape” through to the end. You know how it ends with your drinking / using. It’s always the same. You have the power to let it pass by, you have the power to take your attention and find somewhere different to focus (for example, here on TS). In time it will pass.

You are worthy. You are strong. You are a good person. You deserve to feel good about yourself. You do.

4 Likes

Good job! I always told myself, “saying no to this craving wont kill me, giving in to it eventually will”

3 Likes

I just went through my notes on how horrible I feel after. Worked :slight_smile: another day sober. Tonight is technically my Friday from work. Usually I’d be getting super drunk tonight but I passed the liquor store and made it home! I got this

5 Likes

You totally do!!!

I cringe when I hear this. What I have got is a progressive, incurable fatal disease. And a daily reprieve from it based on the maintenance of my spiritual condition.

I need help and guidance from others and from the Source. On my own devices, the best I can do is white knuckle dryness for a few days at best.

Sorry I don’t really understand why you cringe when you hear that. I think it’s empowering. When I say it to myself I feel strong and I know I can get through whatever I’m facing. Of course we need support and guidance, but we also need to know the power we have deep inside.:heart:

A win, a precarious situation that i can turn to my favor certainly does bring me relief and happiness. And I do make a decision each morning to not drink and I follow that with positive action to grow my sobriety. As each sober day builds upon all the days before it, my confidence in my ability to make that decision and take that action is reinforced.

It’s an odd balance for me to strike, on the one hand pride and confidence in my ability to keep sober, on the other to maintain humility. For me, the expression “You (I) got this” goes too far in the direction of pride of self. I’ve been sober a long time, but my first 3 years of sobriety were under the control of the Department of Corrections. And for 18 years before that, I bounced in and out of sobriety, often thinking “I got this” in relation to making the puzzle work out so I could get as loaded as possible and not have any consequences. I was dead wrong about that.

I hear “You (I) got this” as a platitude spoken by someone who does not truly understand the situation, nor my ability or lack thereof to rise to it. That’s what I hear, and it may not be what they were saying. Maybe they were saying “I believe in myself and my ability” or “I see the problem differently now and it’s not so huge”.

I’m very happy that the OP got through the craving and could count another sober day. Any day an alcoholic doesn’t drink is a gift. And a day with a struggle won can be called a miracle by some, including me.

I hope this explains my initial reaction to the comment. I’m trying to help and offer my experience, and I can be kind of crusty doing that sometimes. It’s good to get a chance to explain my tortured logic!

1 Like

I understand your explanation in how it relates to you, but I just think that saying “I got this” can have so many deeper meanings, so if we hear what we need to hear from it in that moment I think it’s a great thing to say. I do understand your feelings on it too though. It really depends on how you interpret what that saying really means to you. Thanks for the reply😊

2 Likes