Creeping thoughts

I have finally hit the 10 day mark and I’m so greatful and proud of myself. With that, though, I’ve had the creeping thoughts of, “Maybe I can control it” or “Maybe under these circumstances I can make an exception”. The further along I get I am significantly happier overall. However, I am fearful of moments of weakness.

10 Likes

It’s no coincidence that you feel better the farther away from your last drink. Your mind it clearing and getting back to what it used to be.
Maybe think of what drinking ever did for you and give it more time…

2 Likes

A lot of people have those thoughts. If you can recognize what your triggers are, then you can come up with strategies before hand to help you mitigate those pitfalls. 10 days is really good though. You’re doing really great.

3 Likes

Congrats on 10 days, keep going and it will get better. Perhaps going to AA meetings will help, being able to talk to another individual who knows what your going thru will help. When I first joined this forum I thought I had it and did very well without AA, got aver 3 months of sobriety. But I had those same thoughts of Maybe I can handle it…well turns out I couldn’t. Stayed a drunk for another few months and got into more trouble. Had to be put on an ankle monitor and decided it was time to quit before being put on it. While on ankle monitor I was able to leave the house once a day to go to AA meetings and that was it. I could have went back out to drinking afterykmitor was taken off but glad I didn’t, that AA group helped me tremendously. A little over 13 months of Sobriety and I gained a family support group that is there for me when I need them.

6 Likes

10 days is great bud. Well done.
Don’t be scared! Read what you have just written!
You already know what you have to do.
Those thoughts are not uncommon with everyone. I had similar thoughts a few weeks ago.
Work through them, once you have, you then know it’s possible to beat them. Each time you do, you get stronger. It’s like building muscle, the more work you do the stronger you get.

2 Likes

Ironically, the further away from drinking, and the happier we are, the more persuasive these thoughts are. Maybe write a list of things about drinking u want to get away from? A list of such “low-lights” saved me in a moment of weakness recently.

5 Likes

Thank you. I definitely think too far ahead sometimes so I will try to pause and take it minute by minute :two_hearts:

2 Likes

Thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you for sharing your story💕 That’s very powerful and congratulations on the 13 months! I know right now in person meetings are scarce because of the pandemic but maybe I can find something online. This group is SO helpful too

1 Like

Thank you, that makes so much sense! And I appreciate the support💕

It is very ironic! I almost felt that if I can achieve 10 days now, I have some semblance of control (so false). That’s really great advice and I will definitely try that. Thank you!

1 Like

One day at a time. You can fight the whole battle in just one day :heart:

2 Likes

Everyone has intrusive thoughts about using, particularly in the first days and months. A couple things that helped me:

• I’m not responsible for my first thought, but I am responsible for romancing it or playing with it.
  • Thoughts are how you know your brain is still working, but they are not reality (neither are feelings)
  • Powerful negative counter-thinking, even a good loud “NO” feels liberating and is effective.

The name of the game is to lay your sober head on the pillow tonight. That’s it.

5 Likes

Thank you :two_hearts:

That is SO helpful. I think I will write those down where I can see them. Thank you!

This is great. I know I tend to obsess over a fleeting thought until is grows into a craving monster. But that is under my control and is my responsibility.

1 Like

Congratulations on ten days! I have had similar thoughts from time to time about how maybe I’d be able to control my drinking if I started again. It’s easy to think that maybe this time will be different. But I know that it won’t be any different for me, no matter what. Two things I’d suggest when you have these thoughts: 1) come here and read what others have to say about their experiences, and how they deal with those same thoughts. 2) make a list of all the things that made your life worse when you were drinking. Hangovers, fights, whatever it is that made you want to stop in the first place. I made this list, and carry it with me so when I start to glamorize all the fun I had when I was drinking, I can look at the list and remember all the good reasons to steer clear of the booze.

1 Like

And it’s a really positive sign that you can not only recognize these thoughts for what they are, but also publicly admit them to yourself and others and seek out support. Most never get that far. I think it’s very brave.

1 Like

That’s a great idea! I will make a list soon to carry. I like how you said glamorize, that’s so true. It’s so easy to look back and remember the “good” stuff. I have to remember why I’m here in the first place.

2 Likes

Thank you :two_hearts: that means a lot.

1 Like