Critical hour

this is usually when I break down and give in. Day 2 about 4-5pm. Really trying to keep busy!

9 Likes

I know the feeling. Itā€™s a hard spot and kinda scary :pensive:

This is where (for me anyway) emotional self awareness really helps. Usually my ā€œaddict brainā€ talks ā€˜relapseā€™ language when thereā€™s something Iā€™m feeling, some need Iā€™m not addressing. I do a feelings inventory, then follow it with a needs inventory (I am feeling ____, which signals I need ____). Then I take action to address the need. Itā€™s amazing how it helps defuse my addict brain.

Feelings Inventory

Needs Inventory

Take care & be kind to yourself love. Youā€™re a good person, and you deserve a safe, sober life where you can be your full self :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

The feelings can sound kinda silly, like ā€œIā€™m feeling unappreciatedā€ or ā€œIā€™m boredā€ or something - we sorta think, oh, toughen up! But theyā€™re legitimate, honest, human needs. Itā€™s ok to need things, itā€™s ok to need space or people or help. Itā€™s ok to not be ok. :innocent:

1 Like

I always thought I was doing something ā€œexperimentalā€ and ā€œstress relievingā€ when I cracked open a beer. It s wasnt.

What Ive experienced with sober evenings is that every one is an adventure. A real adventure into my mind. A chance to actually be somebody. The feeling of freedom outweighs the fuzz of alcohol and its not a close race.

What do you have planned bud? Can you call anyone? Doesnt have to be an emergency call for helpā€¦just a friendly helloā€¦ :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Find a way to treat yourself, a favorite non-alcoholic beverage, a long walk or a bath. Stock up the fridge with non-alco drinks. Chew gum or get hard candies to suck on. Seriously, I had an oral fixation along with the drinking and it helped! Good luck, and you can do it!!

1 Like

Donā€™t do it @MommaHope. You came here for a reason; you want a better lifeā€¦ The urge will pass, you just have to break that habit.
Remember the hangovers!.. cā€™mon girl, push through!

Thanks for writing- definitely empathize with you. It used to be the exact same time of day for me.

2 Likes

How you doing @MommaHope?

Stay strong! I was in the same exact spot tonight, Day 2 also! I decided to go for a run! It was beautiful out! A 4 mile run, then nice big drink of water, and I was done thinking about it! You can do it! The other bonus? Burning around 600 calories, and not drinking around 800ā€¦ thatā€™s another positive!
Best wishes to you!

6 Likes

Day 1, went for a 3.5 km walk tonight instead of drinking a beer. Sipping on an ice cold sparkling water with a slice of lemonā€¦ :slight_smile: It was difficult to actually get motivation but felt great once I got out there!

3 Likes

I did better than I thought I would. Did ALOT of laundry and watched a good movie. Actually fell asleep by 10pm instead if 2AM. Thanks for the advice and support!

6 Likes

thank you everyone for all the tips and support. I made it through and got all my laundry caught up. Another day down and now to make it through this one.

7 Likes

Good job on making it through another day. Iā€™m new to posting and new to being sober but I am loving not waking up with a hangover. I love having energy and motivation. That first drink is the best feeling sometimes but it quickly turns to the worst outcome. Just remind yourself of that.

4 Likes

Exactly! I love being able to get up early and cook breakfast with my kids.

1 Like

Well done! Now you have done it you know that you can.
The more you do it the stronger you will get.
Itā€™s like a soldier who strips a rifle down and rebuilds it until they can do it in their sleep.
Itā€™s muscle memory. At the moment your brain is trained to drink.
Now you are training it not to. Takes time, but the more you do it the stronger you will get.

1 Like

Good for you! :partying_face: One day at a time, one load of laundry at a time. :joy:

Feel good about it. You made it past the hurdle. You are stronger than your ā€œaddict brainā€. She does not control you. You see her for what she is: a tricky liar. Youā€™re living your true life, where youā€™re there for yourself, present for yourself through ups and downs.

Youā€™re a good person who deserves a safe, sober life. Take care love and never, ever give up on yourself, no matter what :innocent:

1 Like

Hilarious! This goes into my wisdom slogans collection! :joy::two_hearts:

2 Likes

Awesome! Weā€™re all here to get clean, right? :smile:

Hows it going?

3-4 is my breaking point usually, right after I get home from work, group meetings at 5pm a few days a week really help with that for me.

3 Likes