Crying out of frustration

Truth time. Day 10. So frustrated and angry. Feeling mad. They say everyone has some issue but really? Why is this MY issue? I work more than FT, I’ve never touched hard drugs or pot, this was the ONE Vice I enjoyed. And physically my body warned me it’s now a big NOPE. No more post work cocktails or sunset on the porch cocktail. So I’m laying in the dark just crying. It’s too early to try to sleep. Just lying here like an idiot feeling like it’s so unfair. So if this is taken away I’d love to know what other “issues” proper drinkers with no complications have that make them feel like the way I’m feeling tonight. When I feel a complete loss of control over a situation I hate I cry. So here we are. Day 10. Big Whoopie. But seriously folks? Someone tell me what things like this get taken way from others that make them feel like this.

7 Likes

Hi. I’m on day 10 as well. I think there’s a grieving process that has to happen…for those of us that developed a dependent relationship with alcohol or any substance to bring us comfort or reward or relaxation or fun, it makes sense that taking that thing away brings a sense of loss. Allow yourself the space to cry. Crying is a valid coping skill. Crying instead of making a cocktail when you feel this feeling of frustration is a big win.

5 Likes

Quitting alcohol is like leaving a bad relationship for me. It’s comfortable, I know it well, but it hurts me. I think I have fun with it sometimes, I miss it sometimes. Me and my booze, we’ve done some crazy shit together. And yeah I miss the end of the day cocktail, I miss the vacation cocktail, lol as if I ever even made cocktails, I was never patient enough. I pulled straight from the bottle, chugging hard liquor as if it was light beer. I was a hot mess. It’s easy to romanticize it when you don’t have it. Even right now, a long island iced tea on a beach in warm weather sounds amazing but,

Last time I was around water with alcohol I was floating down a shitty alligator infested canal in Florida in an innertube (against the advice of all my family) and cut the living hell out of myself on some barnacles. Time before that I capsized a boat. I typically make very bad dangerous choices when I’m around water and booze.

Don’t fall into the trap of romanticizing it. It’s not the only thing that can give you that satisfaction. But we’ve all been there, you can get through it.

Alan Carr’s The Easy Way to Quit Drinking is a good book that deals with that whole “this give me pleasure I don’t want to give it up” idea. There are .pdf’s online you can find, I’d suggest give it a read.

But hey, we’re always here.

5 Likes

Imagine you had this system that manages your mood, and keeps it in equilibrium. Sometimes higher and sometimes lower, but never to far to either extreme.

You then introduce a substance ( alcohol) and it brings you to higher highs whenever you drink it, but very slowly over time, it causes your lows to get lower and lower when you dont drink it.

Eventually after years of drinking you realize you have to stop.

Now your system is out of whack! For years it has been trained to expect the higher highs from drinking. Your body no longer remembers how to keep your body in equilibrium.

This is what is happening to you right now. Your body is trying to figure out how to get back to equilibrium but it is struggling to do so. It will find its way but will take time. The path also will not be consistent… there will be periods of highs and lows, as it finds its way. Also mentally you will find ways to cope with highs and lows if you dont fall back to your crutch.

Somewhere around week 4 I was angry too that I couldn’t be a normal drinker. Eventually, I realized that I cant compare myself to others and must focus on me, what is best for me! If you keep doing the next right thing for you… it will all work itself out. The path gets clearer the further away from the drink you get.

6 Likes

I remember this part…i got really angry for a while too for all sorts of reasons, i cried buckets even screamed into a pillow a few times… i think its completely normal, u feel like your missing out, that is not fair that you cant be a normal drinker like all those others…your really not missing out…some of us can never be normal drinkers and have to accept it and once you do that it actually feels freeing…have you read or listened to allen cars easy way to stop drinking? That was an absolute game changer for me right at the beginning…really helps with mindset around drinking i cant recommend it enough, also the Stutz documentary on netflix, what your feeling is perfectly normal, sending my love to you :heart:

3 Likes

I have 21 years being sober from alcohol. To be honest, physical sobriety is fairly quick. About 6 months for me. Mentally, it took ME about 3 years To stop continuous THOUGHTS of alcohol. And then another 3-5 years to stop TALKING about alcohol… THEN, the best part, the remaining last years 12 years talking about the joy of spending money on myself and family and not being drunk.
What’s my point? I’m glad you asked. My point is, it takes time. WE didn’t become alcoholic over night. We have the rest of our lives to enjoy sober living.
Don’t be too hard on yourself.
Learn all the annoying sayings. They will come in handy.
Get a sponsor
Make meetings
Get sober friends
BE A SOBER FRIEND
Getting rid of The physical attraction to alcohol is going to be tough
You didn’t start drinking alone there no need to be sober alone
Keep in touch. Don’t give up

6 Likes

Thank you for your powerful share :pray:
Bookmarked it for frequent re-reading.

2 Likes

What ive learned over the decades is that you have to be with people who understand were you are and can give you help and advice and the bonus you can make new sober friends i found that going to meetings and getting a sponsor helped i had to put my sobriety first and action was needed divert your frustration for contentment in you life wish you well

4 Likes

This is going to sound completely batty, but I know toddlers, and they are my favorite people, so this comes from a place of love. Anyone who spends time with toddlers knows the emotions are huge. Any time anything is taken away- a pacifier, a lovey, even a scrap of yarn from a pocket that was a treasure, there are tears, throwing of bodies in despair, a crying out to the sky that life is over and so unfair and nothing will ever be okay again. But then toddlers accept hugs. They accept sound reasoning about why it’s time to move on. They accept a strategy for moving on. They entertain a distraction. They accept a change. They allow happiness in again. And they skip away onto the next great thing. Because there is always a next great thing. We think as adults we’ve moved so far beyond our toddler brains, but there is still so much truth for us in that part of life. It sucks to have something taken away. Period. While the emotions are still raw, maybe just take wisdom from a tot: cry your eyes out, wail at the sky, find someone to hold you, take advice about how to process being sad, accept a distraction, and then let yourself feel happy again while letting your disappointment go. You can still feel sad about it. You can still miss it. But let the disappointment go because it’s blocking you from the next great thing. Sometimes we have to have things taken away because they simply aren’t good for us anymore and they keep us from growing. But there a always a next great thing. :two_hearts:

3 Likes

I think you might find the book, Push Off From Here by Laura McKowen helpful, she talks about just this in it…as well as a lot of other useful info on drinking. :people_hugging:

1 Like