Current emotional state during these times

I’m at 45 days and I do keep telling myself over and over, each day is a win. I still try not to think too far out as it can be overwhelming, especially with the craziness right now. Two personal losses, plus the uncertainty of the times during my sobriety has made it especially challenging but so far, so good. My question…is any one else struggling right now? I was at the grocery for one of my limited food runs and someone was buying two boxes of wine and I seriously wanted to cry. Also, the TV seems to be inundated with alcohol ads (maybe it’s me, I don’t typically watch a lot of regular tv but have more in recent day). Just the idea of wanting to push down and numb all of the emotions is/has been, so overwhelming. I have felt a bit like a failure after the fact for allowing myself to be so emotional or resigned to “the sadness” of the situation. Anyone else struggling with this? How are you coping?

2 Likes

Well, I know its cliche and I’m sure you’ve heard it over and over again but “one day at a time”.
I am starting every day with God and my devotionals and then I do a gratitude list right here on this app. I got 82 days now and I think I got 82 gratitude lists out here somewhere. I list at least ten things everyday I’m grateful for. Starting my day off like that puts me in a good place. I try to spend more time on this app and my Noom weighloss app cuz of the support groups and less time on twitter and the news. I probably still do too much Twitter and news but it’s much less now with TS and Noom to check in on.
:pray:t2::heart:

3 Likes

Yes I can understand the frustration you speak of… I’ve experienced loss last week as well and have seen people still wanting their alcohol or other fixes… However, I do have to say that I seen on CNN a couple alcohol companies turn their product into hand sanitizer and the best part… They are working hard to bottle it up, label it and they are giving it away to anybody who needs it for FREE… That changed my perspective… They didn’t have to do that… They could have saved it for later for profit… It’s that kind of compassion that speaks volumes to me… People stepping up where they really should… I’m so sorry for your loss… :bouquet:

3 Likes

I can totally relate. For me it was a result of untreated alcoholism. I suffered from a spiritual malady. I always felt this emptiness inside. I tried to fill the void with alcohol, drugs, money, sex, company, anything so I could feel complete. The more pointless stuff I tried to throw at it the worse it got. Then I would drink again. When I would try to get sober life got worse. There was a solution in the bottle and without it I suffered. I finally got that thing I was looking for in the bottle. I GOT IT! I recieved it through taking the 12 steps. I found my higher power. I put God in that void and I’m complete today. Early in sobriety however it was horrible. Today I’m comfortable in my own skin and I can handle life and it’s many discomforts. I had a spiritual awakening as a result of the 12 steps. The obsession to drink has been removed from me. Provided I’m spiritually fit I no longer battle with triggers or desires. The alcohol was just a symptom of my disease. The real problem was within me. AA has given me a daily design for living and it works for me.

2 Likes

Day 66 clean and sober. These are the days that the steps and having a higher power are sooo important. Without access to the literature and the willingness to try new things like this for me brand new first reply or post. Great stuff I have read so far. This pamdemic is troubling me like many others. Sorry for all those have lost at this time or anytime. One moment at a time like this for me. Almost constantly saying the serenity prayer. Happy 24! Stay strong and connected…not physically it is unfortunatly quarentine days.

4 Likes