Daughters father overdosed and died

They found his body today. He probably od’d from fentanyl. My daughter’s 13th birthday is next weekend. She is such a happy girl. I just know this will break her. Does anyone have any advise on what to say to her? Anyone with similar experiences?

I don’t have any advice for you I’m afraid, but I’m sorry for your loss. And I can’t imagine how hard it’s going to be to tell your daughter. Stay strong :purple_heart:

1 Like

I’m so sorry for your loss. I don’t have any experience with your situation but I am thinking of you and your daughter. This is going to be a very stressful time. Stay strong.

1 Like

My heart hurts for you and your daughter. I have no perfect words, but I have worked with many children and teens who have lost parents. Below is a link with some information about how you might start that conversation as well as what you might anticipate in the coming days. It does not deal specifically with addiction, but much of the information applies to the death of any parent.

http://www.hospicenet.org/html/parent.html

I can’t echo what @Yoda-Stevie said loudly enough. The very best thing you can do for your daughter is to be present, sober, and alive. She is likely to be terrified about losing you too. She needs you so very much right now. You can do this. You are strong enough. I’m praying for peace, support, and love for you both.

6 Likes

My advice is to be sober, so she is confident and secure in knowing she will won’t have to lose another parent to drugs or alcohol. I am praying that the Lord eases your sorrows, during this time, and you both can reach deep inside yourselves to tap strength that you don’t even know is there.

Love each other.

11 Likes

I was actually going to use and I knew it was wrong but something in me was going to anyway. Till I read your post and realised how selfish that was and she needs me. So I messaged my guy and said forget it. Thank u :heart:

15 Likes

So brave of you to do the right thing. She needs you sober and you need you sober.

2 Likes

Havent deleted “my guys” number yettttt!?..shame on youuuu… :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I’m so sorry to for you and your daughter. Stand strong for her and find people to stand strong for you. :heart:

1 Like

I lost my father at 13 from drinking and driving, I know exactly how she will feel. You just need to tell her, in person. She needs the truth of how it happened. I got a call at 5am telling me I needed to come home when I found out. From there after, I was numb, just going thru the motions. For days. Months. After a year, it finally sank in some he wasn’t coming home. I was depressed, heartbroken and grieving. I began looking for male attention a few years later in all the wrong ways as I dated, not realizing at all what I was doing.

21 years later, I’ve processed it but days like today, fathers day, you will miss them forever. Please stay sober for her. She is going to need you and may not know how to ask you to be there for her but do it anyway. My mom picked up drinking a bit after he died and I constantly worried about her, luckily she’s not a big drinker and the phase didn’t last long.

I am so sorry for your loss and my heart goes out to you guys a ton today and it will continue to do so. :heart:

7 Likes

I know it by heart unfortunately :frowning:

1 Like

Thank u for telling me your story. I’m sorry hat happened to u :heart:

1 Like

On god, so sorry for your loss :frowning:

1 Like

Thank you, I’m so sorry your daughter has to share the same kind of experience. I may not know her but I understand totally and I’m here if either of you need anything! :heart:

2 Likes

Sorry for your loss :broken_heart:

1 Like

Just wondering how you (and your daughter) are doing?

1 Like