Day 1 after 30 years of drinking

Ever since I took my first drink in High School I have been a pretty daily drinker. Sometimes a couple beers a day, often much more.

I quit for about three months a few years ago using AA. I am an atheist so I had to do some mental gymnastics, I wonder if anyone has other ideas.

I see some secular meetings online looking for advice.

Thank you.

There is a program called SMART. I have never tried it myself. Im am similare to you. Started drinking in HS then quit for 4 months a couple years ago. Currently on Day 5

I know a few people who are athiest and attend AA. Don’t get hung up on the Higher Power aspect if you want to try it again.

SMART recovery is another option. Use the searcg feature near your icon on the top right, they have quite a few SMART threads going that are very current. Give it a read and if it appeals to you, give it a shot.

2 Likes

Thank you, I did find SMART online and will do my research.

1 Like

I can feel the body going. Cannot continue this.

Thank you for the reply. It has been a tough day.

Just wanted to check in…doing great right now!

Not sure if anyone will see this just had to let world know Day 2 successful.

Now maybe I will sleep tonight.

5 Likes

Im still watching. Im on Day 7 today. Still not getting good sleep. Usually takes me till about the 2nd week to start getting better sleep.

1 Like

I read most of the Smart Guide last night, downloaded it to my Kindle.
At least I could sit still and read no pacing for hours
Congrats on Day 7!

1 Like

Hey I wanted to check in with you, hows it going?

I am finishing day 10 with really no issues. A couple urges, thoughts creep in I quickly acknowledge and banish.

Really at peace right now.

3 Likes

Funny I was thinking about posting here to check on you as well. No real urges to drink but im in what I would call a mild depression stage the past 3 days. Dont want to do anything. Nothing seems to make me happy. I know it will pass …just my brain trying to get used to not being drunk all the time. Congrats on 10 days!

When you think about what we did to our brain’s chemistry for years…
I wish you were not feeling down…I’m sure it will pass.

I just feel kinda foggy for lack of better description. Maybe because actually sleeping. I’m in a haze forgetting meetings, conversations etc. I was better at work as a functioning drunk…:joy::joy::joy:

Same for me at work. Not too concerned though it should all turn for the better in a few weeks. Im planning to go back to the gym starting on Monday. Also planned a mini vacation next weekend to Los Angeles.