Day 1 all over again…

Well today marks my 3rd reset in the last month.
I have to try harder… I need to for my marriage.

I hate myself for it. :frowning:

5 Likes

So what’s your plan, besides trying and wishing ?

yoda

5 Likes

Excellent question, and thank you for asking.
I noticed that things started slipping when I stopped journaling and posting here to check-in daily.
I’ve also made my wishes to go 100% sober clear to my husband and asked for support if we go out for dinner or have friends over etc.
He’s also finally aware that I downloaded this app and have joined a community for resources and support.

7 Likes

I am also looking to take up hobbies that have fallen by the wayside over the last couple of years. Mini-painting for my board game collection, re-upping my gym membership and making a commitment to go 3 time a week, and picking up the ole video game backlog that’s been collecting dust for far longer than I care to admit.

5 Likes

Have you try AA meetings ? It really helped me. I Hope you’ll be fine. We Believe in you !

5 Likes

I am not a religious person and I know a lot of it is based on religion or Christian beliefs. Im honestly not sure what I’d get from it.
I appreciate the suggestion though, very much.

2 Likes

You know, or you think you know ?
It’s spiritual, not religious. Though some members may be religious.

For a start, you’ll get a more accurate view on what it is :wink:

3 Likes

Use the past.attempts to learn what doesn’t work and try and use the things that you feel do work. The fact that you know you need to get sober is the first huge step. You have not failed yet, you’ve only found ways that aren’t successful. Make adjustments and try again. I have faith in you and know you can do this.

5 Likes

Well the 12 Steps certainly refer to God quite often. I don’t subscribe to that concept which is why I have stayed away.
I’m not opposed to finding a secular alternative though, that’s for sure.

2 Likes

God can mean different things to different people. Apply your meaning of God if you have one. Could mean “the universe” or “mother nature” or just anything that you hold on higher regards than one singular being. Just my interpretation of it. They don’t ask you to attend church and pray to any particular higher power.

5 Likes

Interesting… thank you for that explanation. That definitely helps.

4 Likes

I live very near a community center and after checking they do appear to have regular meetings. I appreciate you all. I’ll make a point to check it out this week.

6 Likes

This is absolutely the part I was afraid of and made me not considerate it before. But you don’t want to Say the serenity prayer you are free and when they Say god It’s not really in a relegious way. You are free to adapt it. You Can try once. Just been 3 Times and I the most important think was to hear people and to be heard also.
I Hope you’ll find what fits most for you :relaxed:

3 Likes

I appreciate you so much.

2 Likes

Also if you’re looking for a specifically non-Higher-Power-based recovery community, you can go to SMART Recovery. They have meetings online and in person; here’s the online link:

They have in person too:

Ultimately the world is so full of unpredictable stuff that we can’t hinge too much of our progress on what others do or don’t do, what they focus on or not. Two people can take the same principles and approach them from very different angles. There is a saying: “take what helps, and leave the rest” - it’s helpful to just focus on what you can get that’s constructive, from what’s available to you, and take it one day at a time.

Determination and effort day by day is what wins marathons. The “clothes” you wear - the labels of where you go, the superficial stuff - doesn’t make much of a difference in the long run. It’s not what you’ll remember when you look back in the future. What you will celebrate, is getting sober :innocent:

6 Likes

As explained above, “God” is just a word and you are invited to find your own.

3 Likes

I have to try harder…

2 Likes

“Take what helps, leave the rest.” I’ve never heard that before and I absolutely love it.

4 Likes

You’re not completely wrong. :frowning:
I’m disappointed in myself for doing so good and then falling so hard. I need to try to figure out what switch flipped, if that makes sense?

4 Likes

It was essentially a “no big deal! See? You can do it!” and it started by going out for dinner and having a drink with dinner… and then that followed me back home.

Making my wishes to go 100% sober to my husband, I’m hoping, helps things this time around. Some external accountability and support, you know?

3 Likes