Day 1 guys x

After too many years to mention and a lot of vodka, today is my first day of sobriety

26 Likes

This is everything!

So happy and thankful for you! You have a great group of folks here that will provide fellowship, guidance and insight. Reach out to themā€¦the road wonā€™t be easy, but it will be a road worth travelled.

Never give up on you!

4 Likes

Great work finally making the decision to quit, it will be the best decision youā€™ve ever made if you stick with it.

Just remember, the first few days and weeks arenā€™t easy but it will get better! Come on to the forum often and read/post if you are starting to have cravings, we will be here!

4 Likes

Congratulations and welcome. Still early in the journey myself - approaching day 50. This is a really supportive community. Keep posting and know that coming here for inspiration or to vent is an option when you are having a bad day or whatever.

Look forward to hearing more about your journey :+1:

3 Likes

Hi @Jojo.blanco, welcome to this fantastic place! Well done on deciding enough is enough. I wish you well and look forward to seeing you around :pray:t2::two_hearts:

1 Like

Thank you x yes been in denial for a long time and very much relied, or so I think, on needing it. I am struggling as it was such a routine but I began hiding how much I was having and realised I have a problem. I am hoping I am strong enough to do this

Thank you so muchā€¦ I am struggling but I guess that is expected

Thank you x I am struggling but this is a great group

Xx thank you

1 Like

Itā€™s ok to feel like you are struggling @Jojo.blanco. The game gets easier the more you play.
For me, in the beginning, I read all the truths about alcohol and what it actually is, and what ā€œtheyā€ want it to look like, it helped motivate me. The anger I had towards it- the lies, the way society views it as acceptable and questioning my ā€œnormal.ā€ Watching it hurt so many people- on the inside and outside of the addiction, the way it destroys familiesā€¦ and then realizing I had the choice to change. Total eye opener. Like poof wake up!
Vow to yourself that you are worth more, and deserve better. Because you do. :blush: :peace_symbol:

4 Likes

Yep, those struggles are there but are a reminder of the fact that our drinking IS a problem. I am a victim of the same drink as yourself (vodka) but there are so many examples of people getting past these struggles. With a few weeks of sobriety under my belt, I usually revert to the ā€œit wasnā€™t really a problemā€, ā€œone wonā€™t hurtā€ thinking trap. Each day you overcome this thinking and wake up sober and fresh is a victory and strengthens your resolve.

3 Likes

Thank you x

1 Like

Thank you ā€¦ x

1 Like

Welcome!! And congrats on your first day!

1 Like

You made a very good decision, one that everyone in this group supports, please stay around do some reading, go check out music, sports, mental health talks, meditation its all here for you and a great community of amazing people. Join the sober family :metal:

1 Like

I promise you it will get betterā€¦just be kind and honest with yourself. Set manageable and realistic goals. Avoid triggers as much as you can.

Believe in yourself.

:blush::raised_hands:t2::ocean::sun_with_face:

2 Likes

You mentioned vodka was your choiceā€¦ am I allowed to ask your consumption? Itā€™s a drink that I grew up on and found it easy to drink a third of a litre a night or more and be ā€˜fineā€™ the next morning. Although I know I wasnā€™t ā€˜fineā€™ -

Yep, sounds all too familiar. I started drinking at 14 and vodka was the first taste I got of any alcohol.

By the time I stopped (50 days ago today! :grin:), I was generally drinking a half bottle at a time. If it was there, it was finished. Like you, other than a little tired, I was completely able the next day. The problem was that this was becoming most days, Iā€™ve drank at work, while driving, anytime I was ā€œaloneā€ I was responsible for my kids (so embarrassed to admit that!). All of those were done in secret and then I openly drank at the weekend at least a bottle. It had just gone way too far.

I donā€™t know your story (feel free to share, if you want) but if any of this sounds relatable and, even if it doesnā€™t tbh, Iā€™m glad youā€™re here and fighting this fight too. Strength in numbers, eh!!!

I should add that when I say ā€œcompletely ableā€ I mean able to do anything expected of me while dealing with depression, that tiredness, waking up with a fear my wife had finished work early nd found the bottle. Physically I was fine. It made me a mess mentally though.

3 Likes

That is just like you have written my story!! I drank secretly and even bought an umbrella that you could hide alcohol in so my partner couldnā€™t see the bottle. I would say I was going to the toilet and drink from itā€¦ Iā€™m so embarrassed to say that and have never told anyone thatā€¦ last night was tough. I knew I was ā€˜dependantā€™ as I drank every night but not to the extent where i thought it would be so so hard to give up. I really want to and Iā€™m not the person who drinks turns me in to although I have been for so long!! Thank you for sharing and obviously there is lots more to my story that day by day Iā€™m sure Iā€™ll be able do share x

1 Like

I understand x it was a drink that my friends said please donā€™t drink as it doesnā€™t get you drunk!!! I drank it like water x

1 Like