Day 1, here we go!

So close to my day 30 and I lost it. I went a welcome back party for a family member and I did so well.

There were drinks everywhere, and I even remember thinking about the post I’d make explaining my willpower. Then my uncle handed me wine and said it was gift. I can’t say no to this, I thought to myself. So I drank it, and it felt so weird… then really good. But no more after this.

The next day, I said I’ll start over. Went to a friend’s house that I was house/pet sitting for. She left me vodka. And not the cheap kind I buy myself, the expensive kind. And all these excuses and more led me to sabotaging the 25 days I’ve built.

I woke up this morning recalling last night’s decisions and last night’s future plans, and it made me remember why I decided to quit. So I’m back! Silver lining (I hope) no intense withdrawals this time! Day 1, here we go!

7 Likes

sorry to hear you had aslip on the way back now , when i got sober i was told that i havnt a mental defence against the first drink but the program i practice in my life gives me the strengh to say no ! my late sponsor explained to me that if you put kids in a candy store they will be tempted ! so i avoid the first few months of going into drinking places until i got strong enough to be there wish you well

4 Likes

Welcome back! Isn’t this Day 1 so much nicer than your first day 1? More experience, more clarity, and as you say, no intense withdrawal. Sorry to hear of your slip but glad you’re back at it.

3 Likes

I’m on day 1 today as well once again. Relapsing is no joke. I hope you make it to your 30 days this time, I can’t seem to make it a week

2 Likes

Something that might have helped you - let these people know that you have a problem with alcohol, and you’re trying to solve it. I know that’s ridiculously hard, but if you’re getting gifts of booze, you’re not likely to turn them down.

5 Likes

Well said @Ignatius. If your friends and family know you are on a sober journey, they should stop giving you gifts of booze…if not…avoid them.

5 Likes

Both well said @Ignatius and @SassyRocks. Welcome back to day 1 @Bre. Treat this as a learning experience. We are all works in progress. You CAN do this! We all got your back. Best wishes in your quest for sobriety.

3 Likes

Thank you all for the encouragement!

@SassyRocks, @SobahCobra79, @Ray_M_C_Laren, and @Ignatius you all are so right. Definitely a learning experience! People who do not come around a lot have not seen the way I drink, so they think I deserve it since I do so much… and it’s still hard for me to elaborate and be honest with everyone. I was talking to a friend about it, I need to set strict boundaries.

2 Likes

I’m feeling way better today than I did towards the end of July! Thank you!

1 Like

It’s hard getting back on track once you’re off! The cravings are on high!!! Wishing you the best!

1 Like

I have a friend who always tries to get me to drink. When I say no she buys me a shot and says it doesn’t count as a drink lol. One time I raised the glass and threw it over my shoulder!!! The rest of the time I just push it away and ignore it. It probably helps that I don’t like shots but even if she hands me a beer I refuse to drink it. I won’t let anyone bully me out of my choice not to drink. Stay strong and good luck.

4 Likes

That’s some willpower right there! I’m gonna need some time before I’m around drinking again hahahah thank you!!

1 Like

I was always a lone drinker. Not much for social drinking probably coz I was afraid I’d embarrass myself! Saying no to others is easy. Standing up to myself when that inner voice starts tempting me is a whole other battle of wills and one I don’t always win. We keep trying though.

1 Like

Stay strong. These failures will make you stronger in the future. I know its cliche to say that, but mine have certainly helped me. You got this.

2 Likes

@Rach2 hit the nail on the head on this one! Stay strong! We all got your back!

2 Likes

Don’t worry easy does it, you’ll get there don’t worry, we’re all here rooting for you

2 Likes

Thank you all so much! The support is realllllly appreciated! :blue_heart:

2 Likes

We gotta stick together!!!

2 Likes